Blue screen keying

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mich1329, Oct 22, 2011.

1. mich1329 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you can help me. I work at a primary school and we have bought a blue screen. We are a MAC-based school and I have been looking everywhere trying to find what the best video / photo software would be to use for this. I currently have iMovie '09 but can't get blue screen on it, only green screen (i've tried a few plugins but they haven't worked - think they might be for older versions of iMovie).

Do you have any suggestions about what to do? I am thinking about buying Final Cut Pro X, but want to make sure it has the blue screen feature and not just the green screen. Otherwise do you know how to make it work in iMovie or another product that would be good in a school situation?

Thanks so much for your help, any advice would be VERY much appreciated!!!

-Mich

2. simsaladimbamba

FCP X can key:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't see any possibility in iMovie, even with that old plug in, but I am not versed in iMovie anyway.

Btw, Final Cut Express can key too, but FCP X may be simpler to navigate.

3. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Keying is part of post-production, so you would be lucky to find consumer solutions in editing software. I would check out FCP X to see if it has it, since a trial does exist for FCP X straight from apple:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

If not, I know of two good options you could do:

1) See if you can get access to an edu version of After Effects. You can do keying in it no problem

2) Slighty older, but an even cheaper than After Effects is Apple Shake. It's a compositing program that was used on several films a while back. Discontinued now, but can be had for a decent price if you can find it.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Shake-4-1-Visual-Effects/dp/B000BX5GGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319334548&sr=8-1

4. simsaladimbamba

FCP X, according to the screenshots, has keying built into it.

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I see that, now. I just have a hard time suggesting a NLE for keying since I am partially focusing on compositing at school. But yea, seems FCP X would work too. And would be an upgrade from iMovie as well.