Blue Screen - Macintosh Classic

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Ih8reno, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I have the chance to get a Macintosh Classic but form the pics I've seen it boots to a blue screen and curser. Does this mean there is any damage?

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

if its a classic it needs new capacitors at a minimum. A cursor is a good start, but its a black and white unit , may look blue but its not. Hard drive maybe ok wont know till you get it.

3. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

When it doubt, start by replacing the capacitors on the mobo, then working toward the analogue board & PSU on most older Macs. These are the most common problems and are relatively easy to fix. My Classic wasn't booting at all. A simple recap sorted it.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

First, what do you mean "blue screen and cursor"? If it's a gray "fine checkerboard pattern" with a cursor you can move, it MIGHT be just that you don't have a boot device in it. Try holding Command-Option-X-O while turning it on and see if it boots to the ROM partition. (The original "Macintosh Classic" is the only Mac with a bootable ROM drive - no other Mac has this, not even the Classic II.)

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I do not have it in my possession unfortunately. Seller told me blue but the pic looked more grey screen with only a curser on it. Nothing else happens according to him.