Blue Screen of Death After RAW Compatibility Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dillyh, Nov 8, 2008.

1. dillyh macrumors newbie

My friend updated her 13" Black MacBook yesterday, specifically the "Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.3". After a reboot, she got the Apple "Blue Screen of Death", with no login window showing. Looking at system.log, there's a section that looks to be the culprit (this began after restarting due to the install of the update):

Nov 7 13:55:29 Philbert /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[31]: Login Window Application Started
    Nov 7 13:55:30 Philbert /usr/sbin/ocspd[53]: starting
    Nov 7 13:55:35 Philbert kernel[0]: display: Not usable
    Nov 7 13:55:35 Philbert com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[50]): Exited abnormally: Hangup
    Nov 7 13:55:35 Philbert com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer): Throttling respawn: Will start in 6 seconds
    Nov 7 13:55:42 Philbert com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[64]): Exited abnormally: Hangup
    Nov 7 13:55:42 Philbert com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
    Nov 7 13:55:52 Philbert com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[67]): Exited abnormally: Hangup
    Nov 7 13:55:52 Philbert com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
    Nov 7 13:56:02 Philbert com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer[70]): Exited abnormally: Hangup

Here are some things I've observed/tried, many from sources via the Internet:

- I'm able to login in single-user mode
    - I'm not able to login in Safe Mode (hangs on white screen with Apple logo)
    - I've tried booting off the 10.5 install DVD and running Disk Utility - verify/repair disk, this comes back ok. However, if I try to verify/repair permissions, it runs for about 10 - 20 mins then freezes. I let the frozen process run overnight (10-12 hours) and no feedback. I can move the mouse, but I cannot select anything.
    - When the laptop is booted and on the blue screen, I can connect to it via AFP
    - I've tried manually changing the permissions of "/", by doing - chmod 775 /; chmod 1775 /;
    - I've tried removing the com.apple.WindowServer.plist and com.apple.loginscreen.plist files in case they were corrupted by the update
    - I tried running the "installer" command to re-install the update package from the command line. I run it with the "verbose" flags, I get no output and the process hangs.

Since I can connect via AFP I figure I'll be backing the data up and re-installing OS X. Pretty lame though, considering this failure was caused by running a Software Update. Anyone have a last minute suggestion for me before I go down that path?

I've attached the full system.log.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't own the models of cameras covered in these "raw" updates and I consistently refuse them. Why deal with a reboot for something I don't need or care about? This thread proves I have chosen wisely. :eek:

4. dillyh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BobZune for the additional tips! I tried resetting the PRAM, that didn't have any effect. I haven't got access to an external display right now, I'll have to test that at work next week.

I've got the 10.5.5 Combo Update on the machine, but when I try to install it via single-user mode command line I get an error:

Code:
    installer -verbose -pkg /Users/.../MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.5.pkg -target /
    Gives back:
    Code:
    2008-11-08 installer[23:0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host.  Error: 35
    If anyone knows another way to install this combo update, please let me know!

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

If you have everything safely backed up, try (in single user mode in the terminal)

fsck -fy

and let it run through (before that, do a "man fsck" without quotes to see what it will do).

Reboot after that and see if it gets you back to normal.

6. dillyh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the tip BobZune. I've run fsck -fy multiple times, on occasion it will return:
    Code:
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    ... but according to the docs that's normal and can be repaired with another fsck -fy (and it does!).

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any other ideas, or tips on options on installing the combo update via command line, let me know!

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

From what I understand now, single user mode can only install the delta updates and not the combo ones.

May be it is time for an archive & install?

8. nyboilermaker macrumors member

Mine did the same thing. Blue Screen of Death. First time in almost 25 years of owning a Mac.

PRAM didn't work. Hate to have to reinstall.

-NYB

9. dukedvl macrumors member

Mine did the same thing last night. I reinstalled today and everything is back to normal.

10. tombz Guest

Same Thing Here

I just updated my MacBook 13" and I get the same thing. Nothing fixes it and the machine just won't get past the blue screen after booting. It definitely looks like a display issue, since every 20 seconds or so it flickers between slightly darker and lighter shades of blue.

Gonna waste the evening archiving and reinstalling the thing now.

Sigh.