Blue screen of death for Mac? Unique situation here... need help please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JKirk, Jan 7, 2008.

1. JKirk macrumors newbie

Hi,

First let me introduce myself, I'm JKirk. I've been a Mac User for about 2 years and I'm here because my iMac just crapped out last night for some reason. I apologize for making a new topic because someone might have had the same situation somewhere but I searched for about an hour and couldn't find anything that fell under the same circumstances as my problem. I'll try to use as much details as possible.

Okay, I was downloading programs, not Shapeshifter or anything funny, (a to-do list and a network security program to be exact) and then the network security program said I had to restart after installing. Big whoop, I thought. Then, this little pop-up came up and said, "Before restarting the computer... updating cache". I can't remember exact wording but it said something about updating cache upon restart. I think this is the clincher, but I tried booting in safe mode and my computer won't make that noise so I don't know when to hold Shift? Why won't it make the noise? Well, upon installing Leopard, sometimes my sound/volume icon will disappear. I have to restart like five times before it starts to show up sometimes and my sound won't work. So, I'm guessing safe mode isn't an option unless there's some other way to do it.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

[​IMG]

It's just a blue screen with the little rainbow hourglass thing. Last night, I restarted 3 times and it was just coming up as a mouse pointer but this morning it's doing this. I had cleanly installed Leopard two months ago and never had any problems so again, it's not Leopard to my knowledge and it's not ShapeShifter or any program like that because I know there's a guide about fixing a problem with ShapeShifter.

What can I do, fellas? Thanks in advance.

2. JKirk thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention that the program was Little Snitch, so maybe it had something to do with the preferences or something? Little Snitch is for sniffing out malicious programs and I thought it would be good since I was downloading a bunch of programs for the heck of it that I've never heard of.