Blue Screen of Death on Macs after the update

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Eraxxer, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Eraxxer macrumors newbie

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Red 5: A O.K. ;) you know somebody was going to call themselves Red 5 eh?

I read that there were some problems on MacNN, I had no problems what-so-ever with the 190MB install, the most annoying thing about this situation is that the errors and solutions are inconsistent. Sometimes though updates do tend to hover around the blue screen for a long time on the first post-update boot, makes me wonder if people are getting a little impatient and rebooting prematurely.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Rule #1 for any update: Walk away, let it do its thing. Interfere, and prepare to get bent over. :eek:

I never watch the update in progress. Click Download & Install and just go to another room for a while. And I've never had a problem with any updates, PPC or Intel.

5. kflook macrumors member

Happened with 10.4.9...

The same thing happened a while back when I did 10.4.9 updates at work. I just FireWired another similar computer (PPC-PPC or Intel-Intel) and reinstalled the update from there. All was well after that. Sucks if you only have one computer though... :(

I did my 10.5.6 update, shut down and left it go while I went to bed :)

6. tonyl macrumors 6502

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've got 10.5.6 installed on my Mac Pro and had no issues at all. :)

8. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

The main problem that I've seen is the entire update is not downloading all the way, mine stopped at about 45MB of the 190MB and told me to reboot, so I did just because it said so.

It then froze on the update screen for about 45 minutes stating that it was 'configuring install' so I just did a hard shut off. Rebooted and then redownloaded the entire update before allowing it to install.

I checked the size of the downloaded file in /Library/Updates

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Exactly. Use the full combo and there should be no problem.

10. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

The new update installed smoothly BUT now if the computer rest for about 5 minutes I have mouse freeze ups or computer lock ups. This is NOT a good update for many people, I would avoid it for now.

11. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Ummm....

I've definitely noticed fewer hangups and beachballs, not more. And even those were a once-per-week event anyway. ;)

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh Gee... I don't know.

I upgraded without a hitch!
    I do have to wonder... did you folks run "repair permissions" after?

13. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

I experienced both the blue screen of death and RAM errors. Only 12 of my 16GB of RAM (8x 2GB's) were recognized. The problems seemed resolved with physically re-installing each RAM stick.

If you are having RAM issues, you might want to try this tip before getting cramped under your desk fiddling with RAM:;)

Let us know how it went.:)

14. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Yes I did and when that didn't work I reset the PRAM. Now I have disabled all power savings and the screen saver in order not to have the mouse lock up. There have been many reported problems with the update according to a tech at Apple.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm still a bit weary regarding the 10.5.6 patch. Think when I receive the new drives for my RAID I might have to do a full reinstall, as CalDigit still hasn't tested it with their drivers... the last thing I need are complications.

16. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

I was unable to install Windows XP SP2 on my Mac Pro

I was unable to install Windows XP SP2 on my Mac Pro. w/ 10.5.6

MY machine locked up and would not boot. I could not get the CD Rom to eject either.

Finally, i managed to get the CD to eject and got OS X to come up. Later on i installed Parallels 4.0 and was able to install XP.

So far I dont' see much use for XP. I will put on Solaris 10 next and see if I have any use for Parallels.