Blue screen of death when booting Windows 7 with boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ColeWasen, Feb 11, 2010.

1. ColeWasen macrumors newbie

I followed all the instructions for installing Windows with boot camp and everything was going fine until the final restart (windows had already fully installed). The windows logo shows up and starts loading, as soon as it's finished I get the BSOD:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed

Check new hardware/software etc....
    Technical Information
    STOP: 0x00000116

I understand that this is a driver malfunction, but when I went to download the update on Apple I keep getting a "page not found" type message. I went to Invidia (I have an Invidia Geforce 7600) but they are worthless. I am running Snow Leopard with boot camp 3.0, no clue what to do, this has literally been a week an a half long struggle up to this point, and I am almost ready to throw in the towel and buy PC. Any help/tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

When you say nVidia is useless, what do you mean? Did you boot into safe mode on Windows and try and install the latest nVidia drivers? It could be some other driver issue besides the video card. What page on Apple are you trying to get? Are you using Apple Software Update?

3. ColeWasen thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the invidia website but they I couldn't find any updates for mac os x. I can't use my mouse or keyboard at the screen where it says Windows did not shut down properly, so by default I keep starting in the same mode. I use the mini-aluminum Apple keyboard, not sure exact name, and the mouse came with the computer. I've tried software update but it says everything is recent.

4. ColeWasen thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Resolved

Instead of trying to boot from the Windows partition I booted directly from the CD using rEFIt (for my external optical drive). This brought me into the Windows setup screen and I used REPAIR. This took care of all issues, Windows restarted normally and finished installation. Windows 7 is up and running, just have to upgrade drivers now.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Good to hear. It may be worth investing in a cheap USB keyboard and mouse, just in case. I am guessing the Bluetooth connection isn't working until Windows is booted up which means you will never be able to boot into safe mode.