Blue screen problems on 17" Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dspindl, Oct 16, 2011.

1. dspindl macrumors member

I bought a refurbished 2011 17" Macbook pro from the on line Apple store. I have had it for about two weeks. Four or five times I have ended up with a blue screen. This always seems to happen when I am quitting a program. I was using command>Q to quit. It seems to happen when quitting Photoshop Elements 9, or Firefox. It just happened a few minutes ago. While Elements was still running, I opened Firefox to post a photo. When I was done, I decided to use the menu bar to quit Firefox. The second I clicked "quit Firefox"....bam...blue screen.
    I hope that it is me doing something wrong, and not the machine.
    Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you.

Dave

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That isn't right. Call the Apple Store and request a fix ASAP. You have 30 days for free calling about it.

3. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Blue Screen with no toolbar? Sounds like Finder is locking up. Do you have the ability to do a clean install of the OS? I would give that a shot.

4. Catlanta macrumors newbie

Me too!

Thanks for the post. I have been having the same problem - blue screen EVERY time I quit Firefox. I have a brand new MacBook Pro 15 inch purchased this spring. Problem started with latest version of Firefox. I have AppleCare so calling today. Will let you all know what I find out.

I know Safari is native browser but I can't stand it. Bad enough to have to use it on my iOS devices. I am a longtime PC user and this is my first Mac. So I'm pretty wedded to Firefox. Crossing my fingers I can keep using it on my Mac.

P.S. I have NOT upgraded to Lion nor do I plan to. Such horror stories.

5. WaylonWillie macrumors newbie

Same problem here: 15" MBPro, OS 10.6.8

I don't get the blue screen every time; maybe 2 times a week. Often it is quitting firefox with command-q, but quitting other programs with command-q produces it as well.

Cute trick: if you close the lid of your laptop, and then open it up again, it returns to normal.

6. Hurricane22 macrumors newbie

Blue screen

I turned my Mac off then the next morning I turned it back on and it started up normal until I got a blue screen and It won't go past that I don't know what to do ive had it for two years it's a 13' early 2009 MacBook pro please help!

7. younjoonlee macrumors newbie

Did you sort out problem?

Hello I have the exactly same problem and your cute trick work it out. However, cute trick cannot fix original problem so that I wonder whether you sort out this problem or not. I have contacted apple center they asked me to reinstall OS again, because they told me it is hard to diagnose this symtom (it doesn't happen all the time) I don't know it is worth to do that without diagnosing underlying problem. If you know underlying problem, could you share the solution. My mail is happyjoon2@hotmail.com

8. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure this is some sort of problem the OS has with handling the switching from the Graphics card to the onboard intel. I only get the blue screens at these points when closing and app down that has been using the graphics card the OS tries to switch back to the intel chip and blue screens. NO idea how to fix it though.