Blue screen + spinning gear on shutdown HELP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deltaray, Jan 7, 2010.

1. deltaray macrumors newbie

My 4 month old Macbook Pro suddenly shuts down with a blue screen and a spinning gear(like on the start-up) thats lasts for like 10 seconds.

Could you suggest anything I can do? I've already tried resetting PRAM, SMC, ran in safe mode, and repaired permissions but nothing works!

The last thing i remembered doing before this happened was a 7-pass Free Space Erase.

Please help. Thanks

2. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

Aye, it does the same thing to my 15" June 2009 MBP for no reason. Originally I thought it was the Boxee beta... no dice though.

3. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

Well.... I had a problem that was sort of similar and the solution was pretty simple. My computer was stuck on my apple logo and spinning gear on startup and wouldnt go past. The solution was to reset the permissions using my OSX install DVD. If you can start your computer though it's better to do it from your hard drive rather than the boot disk. Go into the Disk Utility, select your Hard drive, and in the First Aid section there is a button that says "Repair Disk Permissions"

I dont know if that'll fix the problem but it can't hurt to try.

4. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

He already did that and so did I and it still didn't work.

5. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

ah crap sorry i didnt see that when i originally read the post

6. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

did you try running FSCK? It "checks file system consistency and interactively repairs the file system."

• Restart your Mac holding down "Command(the Apple key)+S" key to enter 'Single user mode'.
    • Type "fsck -f", and hit return.
    • Once complete type "reboot" and hit return to reboot you Mac back in to OS X as normal.

Here is where i saw that suggestion

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I had this problem on an iMac. Turns out the cause was a misbehaving external device. Disconnecting it solved the problem instantly.

8. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

AH sexy idea. yaeh that was on the troubleshooting list when i was trying to figure out my problem.

9. deltaray thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys :) But I've tried everything that you've suggested and it still didnt solve the problem.

And about that external device. I dont have anything connected so I dont think thats the problem..