blue screen with new video card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sadie-lady, Dec 28, 2007.

1. sadie-lady macrumors newbie

sadie-lady

Hi. I just joined the group.:)

I bought (ebay refurb) an installed a Mac Edition ATI Radeon 8500 64MB AGP Video Card DVI VGA for my 400mhz Sawtooth/1.2RAM. I've had this Sawtooth for several years an wanted to upgrade the video card. I've changed out video cards before but never got a blue screen. On restart/boot the gray Apple icon appears w/gray background w/the time-looking thingy rotating clockwise (which is normal). Then instead of going to desktop the entire screen goes blue. The pointer turns to spinning beachball 2-3 times then just stays at the pointer. I've rebooted with shift key down but blue screen appears. I can give more details as to the card installaltion and stuff but hope I can get someones lead on this. Is the software ''ATI Displays 4.5.7'' required to be installed. I have an 22' LCD. I did remove the 8500 an reinstalled the original 128 Pro Rage. I looked over a lot of Mac material on the web prior to installing it. I must have over-looked something. I thought this would be a smooth painless transition to the new card:eek:

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Are you running Leopard? I believe this was a known issue with Leopard and you might want to run Software Update and see if it rectifies the issue.

3. sadie-lady thread starter macrumors newbie

sadie-lady

I'm sorry - OS is 10.4 Tiger.

Problem similar to this but I never get to desktop...
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5695704

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

it is a refurb card, maybe it's a bad one? did the seller test it before shipping it?

i think the card is bad

5. sadie-lady thread starter macrumors newbie

sadie-lady

The seller said it was tested: ''This item has been tested and is guaranteed to arrive in working condition.''
    But your thought crossed my mind. Though it (G4) does seem like it wants to boot but never gets
    past the spinning pin-wheel thingy...then goes to blue screen.

I haven't had any remedies Googling this blue screen problem with a (8500) video card yet either.

Yes, it's a refurb.

6. sadie-lady thread starter macrumors newbie

sadie-lady

blue screen appears synonymous w/kernal panic

Blue screen (BSoD - Blue Sceen of Death) appears to be synonymous with ''kernal panic.'' Having reviewed http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html I remain puzzled as to what is causing blue screen following installation of the ATi Radeon 8500 64mb Mac Edition video card.

Last night I removed the Pro Rage 128 again and put the 8500 back in but this time I thought I'd try booting up with DiskWarrior and/or OS 10.4 install dvd. Both did quasi-boot but only to the select item icon...from there it goes to blue screen. Odd I can put the Rage 128 back in and it boots fine.

Does this sound like a matter of a defective 8500 card? Is there anything that stands out that I'm over-looking?