Blue Screen...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eyesawred2, May 21, 2009.

1. eyesawred2 macrumors member

eyesawred2

I KNOW that this has been on the forum before but I need to know how dangerous it is to use the Terminal to delete an application. I have already deleted my third party software but I still get this stupid blue screen. I reinstalled Leo and it still is acting like a PC. I will follow the instruction on the apple site

Type these commands, each on a single line followed by Return:

/sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    rm -rf /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ApplicationEnhancer.bundle
    reboot

What's the worse that can happen?

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

The worst possible scenario? You mis-type a command (or do something equally daft whilst logged in as root) and nuke your drive.

3. eyesawred2 thread starter macrumors member

eyesawred2

Well, I won't be doing that. Any other suggestions to get rid of the blue screen? Will it do any harm if I do nothing and let it stay blue? I should have just left it alone and kept using Tiger.

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No, the method you suggested will work fine -- just don't go messing around with anything else while you're root (and double check your commands before you issue them) and you'll be fine.

5. eyesawred2 thread starter macrumors member

eyesawred2

OK..I'm gonna do it. If you don't hear back from me in an hour. I have nuked my drive and am laying on the floor in the fetal position crying.

6. eyesawred2 thread starter macrumors member

eyesawred2

Didn't work

I have put those commands into single user mode and I am STILL getting the blue screen. If I use the sumo (or whatever command) can I delete my HD and then reinstall Leopard and the restore all my data? Will that kill the blue screen?

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I'm not really sure what "blue screen" you're referring to.

Are you trying to fix the issues caused by having APE installed when upgrading from Tiger to Leopard?

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Actually to fix a blue screen you just usually need to Safe Boot. Last point in what Safe Boot does suggests loading Safe Boot to fix the blue screen issue. Safe Boot is loaded by holding shift on startup until the gray screen, Apple logo, gear stage then being very patient, as it could take up to 7 minutes for the computer to display the login window if Safe Boot is successful.