Blue Startup Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SirFahlman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. SirFahlman macrumors newbie

So I downloaded a program that cleans unused files and unneeded files. Apparently it erased some kind of startup files or something cause I shut the computer down one night and the next morning I went to turn it on and it just goes to the blue screen and the loading icon comes on for 5 minutes. It is a Macbook and after sitting there for 5 minutes it just shuts down and tries to start up again. I don't know what I have to do to restore it cause it removed my thingy called "Matt" which is I guess my hard drive name. I'm not every good with computers so I dont know all the names for things.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I've seen this happen before. Often times this is caused by a file that's become corrupted during an update to the computer, or something along those lines.

You need to do what's called an Archive and Install. What this does is reinstall Mac OS X onto your computer, but doesn't touch any of your personal files -- so all your stuff should be safe. Unlike a Windows PC, Archive and Install DOES NOT erase the hard drive, but you just have to make sure to follow what's in bold below, and you'll be all set.

You need the CDs that came with your computer to do this.

Info from Apple's knowledge base article:
    Then just wait until the process is completed. :) If all else fails, call Apple. They're the best.

3. SirFahlman thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that first about a week ago. All my computer lets me do is select the language then it says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Take it into an Apple Store.

5. mufflon macrumors 6502

This problem is usually started by 2 different things (unrelated), I've suffered from it from time to time and is usually easily fixed

Try the following list 1-8, stop once you've got it to work.

1) Start disc utility and select your primary (mac os x installed on) disc and repair the file permissions. Unix being a modern operating system with a huge amount of system related files. Sometimes some of them get corrupted. This usually fixes the blue screen at start-problem.

If you never get a chance to start the disc utility then insert the mac os x install disc, start while holding "c" down and run the included disc utility from the menu bar on top.

2) start up in normal mode. Is the problem fixed?

3) if this didn't fix the problem then (I presume you have auto login by default) try to log in on another user, another common related problem is bad start up items. Remove all start up items from your primary user.

4) start up in normal mode. Is the problem fixed?

5) Call apple, they might have some other easy solution (given you still got apple care for _any_ computer)

6) try Archive and install, might work now that permissions are fixed

7) Try installing mac ox x on an alternative external/internal drive. Transfer all files. Install max os x with a formated drive and transfer back all files.

8) if you've reached this get to an apple store and hand your apple in. It might be something serious.