Blue tooth supervizing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by owen.andrews.00, May 20, 2009.

1. owen.andrews.00 macrumors newbie

owen.andrews.00

Hi all
    i am currently working with the tasmanian education department
    and were searching for some software that can/will:

1. Show all blue tooth file transfers that have happened with in the vicinity of the blue tooth ariel, so basically catch a copy of the files.

2. show who has sent and received the files

maybe doesn't need to do the first one but would be good
    basically want a program that will monitor blue tooth activity

thanks heaps!

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Trying to catch kiddies sending stuff during class, eh?

3. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

You know, when I got this macbook, I wanted to write a program for that, and use it on the bus, so I had something to do during the ride to school, spy on other people. Never got that far, although someday, I will finalize the project :)

B07

4. owen.andrews.00 thread starter macrumors newbie

owen.andrews.00

he he
    no we have a problem called cyber bullying here
    were kids send videos of other kids getting bullied and so on

5. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

Try the CIA, NSA, or whatever is out there. They probably have the stuff you are looking for.

I'm sorry about your problem. I thought society was getting a little bit better not to tease others, but apparently I was a little bit too optimistic.

Let me know if you find a way, you caught my attention on this.

Sincerely

B07

6. owen.andrews.00 thread starter macrumors newbie

owen.andrews.00

Society aint getting better
    a kid got dact last week and within the hour it was all over the school and on you tube, msn etc

luckily we tracked em all down and deleted them

traced text messages about it and ground the students but the blue tooth files jumped the net.

and i think the cia is bit extreme but if you got any contact please pass them on

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

My post was both intended as a joke and as being serious, if thats even possible :p

I understand totally where you're coming from. I graduated from high school last year (with Western Australia's awesome education system :p :rolleyes:), and cyber bullying was such a problem here and yet no one wanted to do anything about it. It's nice to see that there are people out there trying to combat the issue :)

8. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

I dont, and if I tell you, I would have to kill you.. haha.

It does seem like you have quite a problem. I've seen this movie called 'Never Back Down' and it show the same problem, which is the ability to load stuff up everywhere at anytime, only it is fighting instead of people getting bullied. Do you have webscence or any kind of block at your school? This will certainly limit a certain amount of kids that dont know how to get around using proxies or other things to get on youtube. Because as you know, bullies like the attention they get from other by doing it.

Then it is just a matter of avoiding people getting bothered at school, and let it be know that bullying is not allowed, and expel those that are part of the bullying.

I am not an expert, but it seems that the school needs some decent management, some good meeting with parents and faculty, gatherings with students. Getting rid of bullying takes time.

Oh well, I could go on an on, on the technological level all I can advice is to get a block on the regular internet over campus, and isolate the core of the people loading up the videos. They will stop eventually, and grow up.

Good luck

B07

9. owen.andrews.00 thread starter macrumors newbie

owen.andrews.00

Thanks
    its true we don't have a block on you tube and similar web sites but the school is reluctant to block you tube in particular because it all so provides learning opportunities.

All so we don't wont to block to much stuff we just wan't to control it.
    sound dumb i know but if we block heaps of stuff people start hacking and end up in places they should not.

so basically we want to do is see what's happening so if something comes up thats not acceptable we know who it is and can teach the kid a leason ban his phone or what ever

all kids bring there own laptops to school and are alowed to use mobile phones as long as it does not disrupt class sonds like lame handling but our school actually comes fourth in the state overall and we think its because we allow student lots of accsess to modern technology.

but this amount of access means we get cyber bullying.

we just want a way to control it so we can put a lid on it.

10. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

Its interesting.

On technological level I would advice you to find a way to limit the access to several websites. It seems to work quite well at our school. Our teachers are able to connect to a server, which allows them to bypass the block, so they can still show videos from youtube. Intercepting bluetooth will be hard I believe, because you have to account the privacy issues and such.

Social level education of the students is the solution. You will need someone that is comfortable explaining to the kids about bullying. And I also believe that some years there is more bullying then other years, depending on the graduating class. I go to a private school, so all the students there are really there to study and work hard, they dont find the time to bully too much, which is positive for the school and creates a great community.

B07