Blue & White G3 upgrading questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TESEV, Nov 21, 2007.

1. TESEV macrumors member

TESEV

I have a B&W G3 which is in line for some upgrading (prolly to a media server), and I'm looking to see what kind of stuff I can fit in it and what kind of limitations i may run into. This is a little more complicated than "what hds can work..."; that i can figure out :).

My questions are more along the lines of:
    - How much / what kind of power supply can I get that's better than the stock 200W? (for multiple HDs)
    - Could I, say, stick in a newer motherboard like a G4 without too much case modding? And if I need to, how much modding would i need to do?
    - Advice...?

I'm definitely replacing the power supply and the mobo (mine is revision A and has a drive corruption issue). Being able to do gigabit ethernet with just the motherboard would be great, but that'll depend on the hassle of making it fit in the case.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

OK so you want to:

A) Keep the B&W case
    B) Buy a bigger PSU
    C) Buy a newer G4 mobo.......

IMHO, a big waste of time, money & effort.......all of which could be better spent on getting a whole new(er) machine.

And yes you would have to do aLOT of hacking to make other mobos fit into a B&W case......hope your dremel skills are up to the task :D

3. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Unless you like to tinker ALOT and like a case that looks like it was made by Dr. Frakenstein, it's not worth it. The ports of different motherboards aren't goin to line up properly. Fans are typically in different positions. Different orientation of the motherboard in the case.