BlueBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iMpathetic, Dec 14, 2008.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I was getting really bored of my old 1.33GHz iBook's child-toy looks, and figured I might as well make it my own.

Yesterday I unscrewed the 4 small Allen screws on the sides of the lid and took the plastic off. I then took a blue Sharpie and colored on the white film sheet thing.

Here's the result! :D

Also called the DUKE-BOOK. Go duke!:D

Attached Files:

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

It looks good. I have seen people do all sorts of things to the iBook cover.
    A couple of people but transparent colored film over the logo to change the color, similar to what you did with a sharpie.
    The best one I have seen was a guy who used paint thinner to remove the white, then painted Eve (as in Adam and Eve) backwards on the clear plastic.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Looks good from far, but messy up-close. I wonder if there is a way for you to smooth it out somehow?

BTW, nice wallpaper..... very non-child-toy looking..... :D;)

4. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I'm considering re-painting the lid. Thanks for reminding me about that, and thanks for the compliment! :D

Oh, shut up :p

It's left over from when we moved in, about 10 years ago when I was 4. I thought it was the sh*t back then.

I like how it looks up close in person. I think it adds a touch of warmth and personality to the normally sterile, austere look Apple computers have nowadays, almost like they belong in a hospital.

Then again, I'm no designer. :eek:

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Black or florescent orange. Blue looks PCish to me somehow. I think you can just put a piece of translucent colored paper in there?

There is nothing child toyish to me about the iBooks.

They and the plastic MacBooks are a purposeful ode to the 70's era Italian pop plastic designs of Panton, Kartel etc.

Jonathan Ive knows his industrial design history. iBooks plastic? Think A CLOCKWORK ORANGE set design.

6. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

oh no! lol. not bad but...hmmm...

What i did was I went to the local home depot and you know those paint samples? Yep. Got a few of those, finally decided on a color and just stuck it on the inner part of the mac after opening it.

i went with dark blue and it looks great. sure it doesn't glow through but who cares? people all the time ask me if my laptop is really a mac, or what i did.

7. janat macrumors newbie

Best way to do

http://www.icolours.ca/installation.html
    this is company that started distributing the idea, but really the only difference between you messy, and them is that that company used sand paper on that white plastic sheet-which spreads out the glow evenly. They did so until that plastic turned colorless. They put transparent paper before the sheet, which changed the color of apple, but also gave it a even glow.