Bluehost and Mac Mail app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zachlegomaniac, Mar 27, 2014.

1. zachlegomaniac, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I am having an absolute hell of a time getting my email address (from my domain, which is hosted by Bluehost) to work correctly with the Mac Mail app on my brand new MacBook Pro (10.9.2). First I get a message telling me it must be configured manually, and then it won't allow me to send from that email account once I have it configured.

I have already taken a look at Bluehost's step by step directions, and chatted with a (lousy....which they are usually good) support tech online.

I typically don't have trouble with this kind of stuff. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

-z

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

From what I can tell the incoming and outgoing servers are the same, but outgoing should have SSL "ON" and incoming should have SSL "OFF". Is that the way you've got it?

3. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Thank you! That worked. Also, if anyone else happens to have this problem as well:

- Use port 26 for outgoing mail.

- Be sure to have SSL "OFF" as indicated above.

- The IMAP name and password for outgoing mail are NOT optional with Bluehost as indicated on the interface.

Best,

zlm

4. davesoel macrumors newbie

Still can't get mine to work.....did you use the servers for the secure SSL or the non-SSL settings?

5. wemiller macrumors newbie

bluehost trouble too

Hi, I have been trying all night to set up my email account hosted by Bluehost with my mac mail. I keep getting a prompt to enter my password, which I do and it still doesn't work. Can you please tell me exactly what you did that worked.:confused: