BlueRay Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timothyl88, Jun 3, 2010.

1. timothyl88 macrumors newbie

Anyone have any idea when or if Apple will ever include a blueray drive in the macbook pros?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

Note to Apple: Blu-ray is catching on
    When do you think we'll see Blu Ray and HDMI?
    Steve Jobs explains why there is still no Blu-Ray
    Steve Jobs email hints at no upcoming Blu-Ray support on the...
    Why I think you will never see a Blu-ray player inside an Apple product...
    Question about Blu-ray
    Why Apple will never support Blu-Ray
    Question about Blu-Ray
    How long will it take for macs with blu-ray USB 3 and/or FW3200 to be released?
    How is the lack of Blu Ray affecting your views.
    Mid January 2010: state of the Blu-Ray drives?
    how can i play blu ray on macs?
    Regarding blu-ray...
    MacBooks with Blu-ray Anytime Soon???
    USB 3.0 and Blu-Ray
    Solving the dilemna of no Blu-ray on current iMacs?
    Dear Apple, WHY NO BLU RAY in the new Macs!?!?! ARGH!
    What's up with Apple users' infatuation with Blu-ray?
    Next-Generation iMac: Quad-Core Processors? No Blu-Ray?
    Who cares about Blu-Ray anyway?! Well lets find out.
    blu-ray on mac mini? maybe?
    Mac and Blu-Ray
    Sign that next MBP will have Blu-Ray
    Do MacBooks play Blu-Ray disks?
    New Mac Pro with blu ray
    Could Apple be sued for Anti-competitive practices for not including Blu-ray?
    No Blu-ray. No buy. Simple as that.
    **There WILL be Blu-Ray on New Macs!**
    Blu-ray!! And another couple of nails in the PPC coffin
    MacPro: USB 3.0 and Blu-ray
    Why no Blu-ray?
    Anyone else waiting for Blu-ray support?
    How soon will Blu Ray drives be available for Mac Mini?
    MBP with HDMI and Blu-Ray?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Could be tomorrow. Or 23.5.2015.

Nobody knows. The technology exists so it's just up to Apple

4. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

eaaaasy tiger

5. timothyl88 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

7. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

and FYI its a worthless product. optical media is a thing of the past.

8. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Its not worthless yet (billion dollar industry in 09, and expected to triple in 10), but it will have significantly less mainstream time than DVD's had.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Optical media will be with us for a couple more decades, at least.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But its popularity won't be so great anymore due transition to digital media and thus Blu-Ray is more or less useless. I find it good only if I get it for free, I wouldn't pay any extra to get it for my iMac. Having it as a BTO option would be fair though, so people who want it could get it

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I suspect you mean "digital downloads" since Blu-ray is digital media. The facts are aligning quite well now. If you want Blu-ray quality by digital download then (1) download speeds in the USA will have to get significantly better (since the USA is the principal market), (2) the Studios have to be willing to provide such content (which they haven't to this point and judging by Jobs' comments from a couple of days ago isn't going to change), and (3) you have to have economical download rates (which are now being capped by several ISPs). Blu-ray Discs are currently the best experience available and that's not going to change anytime soon.

In addition, given the escalating penetration of Blu-ray devices and discs, the Studios will be quite content with their current business plan. They are the ones who will dictate what occurs, not Apple, Microsoft, AT&T, Comcast or anyone else. Without their cooperation, nothing will change.

One can already play Blu-ray Disc videos on Macs provided one buys Make MKV and has a cpu of sufficient capabilities (quad core or duo core with hyperthreading).

12. lordofuo macrumors regular

Uh huh...

Can you direct me to a mainstream form of HD media that isn't optical, and has the same compression quality? Not to mention the same amount of content? :rolleyes:

Don't link me to Apple HD downloads. They aren't anywhere near the same quality.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not all need nor want the quality of Blu-Ray, some are fine with lower. You can't change the fact that the market of digital downloads is developing all the time. It's a lot easier to click download in iTunes than going into a shop and buying the actual disk. Digital downloads are also cheaper due lack of need for medium i.e. disk.

Apple is already burying optical media because they have iTunes which is great profit. If people go to BestBuy and buy Blu-Rays, Apple won't get any money out of that.

Blu-Ray may provide the best quality but it comes with a price. In here, Blu-Rays are +25€ while downloading in HD from a Finnish site costs only 10€. Let alone the easiness of sitting on couch and pressing buy instead of going to a shop and buying one.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blu-Ray and it's great. I have PS3 as a BR player but the easiness of digital downloads are just deal-breakers. If I want to watch a movie, I want to do it now and not 2 hours later when I've bought the movie.

I doubt Blu-Ray will ever achieve the popularity of e.g. DVD

14. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Haha, I see you're trying to prove a point, but how long did that take?

15. Deeya macrumors member

Whats the fascination with blu-ray drives?

The discs are like $10 a pop. If its the movies you're after, can people even tell the difference between a a blu-ray and a normal dvd on a 17" screen?

It's great for home theater, but for a computer, seems pointless to me. USB thumb drives are cheap, reusable, and don't turn into a $10 coaster when they fail to burn properly.

16. Xombie11 macrumors regular

17. exe163 macrumors regular

If you cannot tell the difference between 480p and 1080p you should really get your eyes checked.

DVD is the thing of the past, I don't recall using my dvd drive after OS install besides, well, watching DVD. Bluray is basically a bigger DVD for cheap distribution of large files (currently only movies). I don't think it's a good idea to wait 3 days just to download a HD movie if you go the digital route.

18. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If that had any bearing on the market then we'd still be watching VHS tapes.

Avatar in 40 MB/s 1080p Blu-ray with DTS-MA high-def audio = US$20.
    Avatar in 5 MB/s 720p iTunes with AC3 Dolby Digital = Oops! Not available. You have to buy the crappier 420p less-than-DVD quality for US$15.

This is no contest. Blu-ray wins by a mile (or kilometer).

Apple doesn't dictate this market, the Studios do. And they have made it clear what's going to happen. Jobs knows this better than any of us.

There's no doubt that online purchases are attractive, but they're not there yet and won't be for many years to come.

They used to say that about VHS.

Not sure where you are, but 25 GB discs are US$1.70. They are great for archival data storage. Certainly better than any hard drive.

Yes, quite clearly. Even on my 13" MacBook Air with its 720p-capable display.

If you're happy, that's great. But for many of us we want the best possible experience, even on a laptop display.

But you can't distribute video content on flash devices in an economical manner. Optical media are here for a few decades at least.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

A couple more decades??? I don't think so. No wonder you call yourself Caveman. :D

20. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I gave up and got an external bluray drive and started backing up my movies to hard disk with MakeMKV. I can view them with VLC though some don't play smoothly. Guess my MBP is too old.

21. Deeya macrumors member

On a large screen, the difference is huge. On a 17" screen viewed from a few feet away, the difference isn't worth the price of admission.

What kind of internet connection do you have where it takes 3 days to download a movie? My cable connection pulls down 1 MB/s most of the time, takes maybe 15 minutes to download a 720p movie.

22. Deeya macrumors member

Where are you finding bd-r media for $1.70?

Even on Amazon, a crappy disc from a no name manufacturer is $5.

The 15 pack of memorex discs for $40 has 11 1-star reviews of people saying discs failed to burn.

No doubt blu-ray media has a lot of space, but the speed/price/reliability doesn't even out. At $5-10 a pop, I don't want even the chance of burning a coaster.

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, CDs are still in production and they were introduced about 30 years ago. DVDs have been in production for about 15 years and are still made. Blu-rays are the current champion with no suitable replacement on the horizon.

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...24&cm_re=blu-ray_media-_-17-607-024-_-Product

I've never had a Blu-ray disc fail to write using Toast. I've also never had a CD or DVD fail once burned. I've had several hard drives fail, so all my archival files go onto optical media, and that's currently Blu-ray.

24. Deeya macrumors member

The 25-50gb of space would be great if you could get a 50 pack for $20. Until then, the possibility of having even a $2 coaster, or discs that can only be read on the drive they were burned in won't sway me. :p

25. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I didn't buy my Blu-ray burner only for burning discs. I also bought it for watching and ripping my Blu-ray Disc videos. No other device can do those two things. And that's worth something to a lot of people, and a lot more as time moves forward.