Blueray DVD to iPad rip?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iWoz, Apr 26, 2010.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Bought Avatar today on blue ray but it came with non blue Ray DVD aswell, I presume I need to use handbrake on my Mac to rip it to the iPad. Can anyone suggest whether it will be worth ripping the blue ray as opposed to the standard DVD?

2. msavwah macrumors 6502

I ripped the DVD using the universal setting in handbrake (it's 3.4GB) and it looks amazing on the iPad as well as the :apple:Tv which is not a bad alternative at all to switching to my bluray. The quality is excellent.

Don't forget to force the foreign subtitle search, unless you speak Na'vi

3. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Wow, Handbrake rips Avatar??? I figured that would have been un-rippable... Handbrake hasn't worked for me much lately.

4. msavwah macrumors 6502

5. ReviewPC macrumors member

I use Ripit for the dvds (haven't done any of my blu rays yet), and it now saves in iPod format if you want. Though handbrake is pretty slick, I just like the simplicity of Ripit.

6. cyberheater macrumors regular

Well the ipad has a screen resolution that is better then the native resolution of a DVD so you're better off ripping the bluray and set the width to 1024 for optimum quality.

7. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The blu-ray will allow you to take advantage of the full native resolution of the iPad (vs. 720x480 of DVD) but from what I've seen online, there aren't too many programs right now that are capable of cracking the current BD+ encryption used on the Avatar blu-ray--I believe none for mac and one or two (I believe I saw that DVDFab worked) for PC.

I use MakeMkv so I'm waiting on an update to be able to rip by copy of the Avatar blu-ray.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

FYI there is no such thing as a Blu-ray DVD. . It's a Blu-ray Disc or BD with an included DVD. The DVD is just a standard DVD sans packaging.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Any DVD HD is Avatar ready and what I used (PC only).

11. msavwah macrumors 6502

That I do not know.

12. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Well I will most likely buy avatar from iTunes. Can you burn purchased movies from iTunes onto DVD?

13. ReviewPC macrumors member

Nope. That's why I no longer buy any of them from iTunes. I buy them on DVD/Blu Ray and rip them for my personal use.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Another and bigger problem with iTunes HD is the (lack of) quality. While it may be 720p HD the average data rate is lower than most SD DVD's (in the 4Mbps to 8Mbps range I believe). However BD's like Avatar can average well over 30Mbps and hit peaks up to 48Mbps. :eek: Also iTunes only has lossy audio.

15. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

No. It would be a complete waste of time to rip the Blu Ray. The software likely hasn't been updated with new profiles for Avatars BD+ protection yet (pirates have their own tools). Not to mention you likely need to buy something to rip Blu Ray or use some very finicky scene tools.

Even when tools are updated, it will take a lot more time to get it off the disk, then it will take a lot more time resizing/compressing.

If you go through all that you would probably need to hold it 6 inches from your face to see a tiny little difference in quality over the DVD.

DVD is going to look fantastic on small 10" screen. I doubt most people will even spot a difference going to the full 1024 resolution.

16. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I agree. There's really no need on a screen this size. I have a couple of hundred of my DVD's converted with Handbrake and they look great on the iPad. And they take up considerably less space than 720p videos.

On the other hand, I no longer buy DVD's... so with all current releases that I buy on Bluray (and there's no included DVD or digital copy), you really have no choice other than ripping the Bluray or obtaining a digital copy by other means.

17. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Have you ripped any Blu Rays yet. The impression I get is that is is a major PITA.

I haven't tried because I couldn't find a decent free solution and I only have few Blu Rays with no real need to rip them.

18. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

No, I have not. I have a 27" iMac and use an external DVD drive to rip my DVDs. I'm currently thinking about getting a Bluray drive, but it's really only good for ripping on the Mac (no playback) so I am hesitant. I'm starting to get a pretty good collection of Blurays now, so it may be soon!

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Just started ripping my blu-rays over the past couple of months and actually, other than some difficulty getting forced subtitles into the encode, it's just as easy as ripping a DVD. MakeMKV has worked wonderfully---Avatar is first disk I couldn't rip.

20. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

AnyDVD works really well, but it's kind of pricey.

21. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Avatar doesn't come with one of those "digital copy" things?

22. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

On windows 7, I use Ripitforme/Dvd-Decryptor -> Handbrake for DVDs.

All free and fairly simple.

I am trying MakeMKV right now on Blu Ray. Free Trial for 30 days.

23. pjtoadie macrumors member

What settings are you using in Handbrake? I'm getting an iPad any day now so I started messing around with my Blu-Ray's trying to encode them. I have AnyDVD and MakeMKV. I haven't tried ripping an entire Blu-Ray yet. I'm in the process of ripping The Blind Side. I made the mkv file and started the Handbrake process this morning before I went to work. It's going to take 6 hours :eek:. If you or anyone who's ripped Blu-Ray's to their iPad please post every setting you chose for Handbrake :). Really dummy it down for me :D. I even want to know the audio setting you used. What was happening for some reason Handbrake was closing in the beginning of the encode depending on the audio I chose :confused: I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's the best way to rip a Blu-Ray to the iPad. Thanks!!

24. pkdoyle macrumors member

:eek:
    Wow, either you have the world's fastest PC or time means very little to you. I have ripped many BluRay's (and HD-DVD's for that matter) and I frankly find it to be a pain in the butt compared to standard def DVD.
    It is not difficult in the sense of figuring out ton's of settings and using cryptic commands, but it takes forever!
    Give me a couple of hours and I will have a standard DVD ripped for iPad import which looks terrific. If I want to do the same with BluRay I need a day and a half!
    Having ripped DVDs of all types and converted them for the iPad I can definitely say, IMHO - HiDef is not worth it on the iPads small screen. Standard def DVDs look just great! YMMV. :)

25. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Ok. I just tried MakeMKV on "Pans Labyrinth".

Ripping time was about an hour for the complete disk.

BUT this does not include any additional compression. It is still in full resolution. Shrinking this will take a lot of CPU time even on my Quad Core. And likely a lot of trial and error to get some new settings for Handbrake.

Critically: It failed on the subtitles which are kind of important on a foreign language movie. :(

Edit: Handbrake fails trying to compress this MKV (from MakeMKV) instantly. Not sure why... I have used Handbrake on other MKVs and on DVDs with no problem.