Bluetooth 2.1 iPhone SW Update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liberty4all, Nov 5, 2007.

1. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

Anyone know if Bluetooth 2.1 can be a software update for the iPhone, or will need to be HW?

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_2.1

Bluetooth 2.1

Bluetooth Core Specification Version 2.1 , is fully backward-compatible with 1.1, and was adopted by the Bluetooth SIG on August 1, 2007. This specification includes the following features:

Extended inquiry response: provides more information during the inquiry procedure to allow better filtering of devices before connection. This information includes the name of the device, a list of services the device supports, as well as other information like the time of day, and pairing information.

Sniff subrating: reduces the power consumption when devices are in the sniff low-power mode, especially on links with asymmetric data flows. Human interface devices (HID) are expected to benefit the most, with mouse and keyboard devices increasing the battery life by a factor of 3 to 10.

Encryption Pause Resume: enables an encryption key to be refreshed, enabling much stronger encryption for connections that stay up for longer than 23.3 hours (one Bluetooth day).

Secure Simple Pairing: radically improves the pairing experience for Bluetooth devices, while increasing the use and strength of security. It is expected that this feature will significantly increase the use of Bluetooth.

NFC cooperation: automatic creation of secure Bluetooth connections when NFC radio interface is also available. For example, a headset should be paired with a Bluetooth 2.1 phone including NFC just by bringing the two devices close to each other (a few centimeters). Another example is automatic uploading of photos from a mobile phone or camera to a digital picture frame just by bringing the phone or camera close to the frame.

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Doubt it.. the iphone barely does bluetooth at all (I think it's headsets only, except it wouldn't work on mine at all, so it's only certain brands of headset probably). They need to add a proper stack first before thinking about the future.

3. liberty4all thread starter Guest

liberty4all

But look at that battery saving feature in 2.1 -- maybe what Apple was waiting to implement along with other stuff like A2DP, etc.

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's possible, but it doesn't used up much power normally anyway - On my other phones I just leave it on and haven't really noticed much of a battery issue with it (just don't leave it discoverable.. that's asking for trouble).

5. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Bt versions have never before been upgradeable via software alone, so I doubt this will be the first.

Funny, Apple ADVERTISED "BT 2.0 + EDR" What exactly are we supposed to do with it? BT sync? Nope. A2DP? Umm, nope. OBEX? HAHAHAHAHA

6. ne0star macrumors regular

I'm fairly certain Bluetooth versions can't be upgraded simply by software, but there is nothing stopping apple adding extra profiles for syncing, AD2P etc for the version of bluetooth present in the iphone.

7. alphadelta macrumors newbie

I've been scratching my head over this one for quite some time, so I decided to look into it a bit further. From what I've gathered, it works like this: The profiles are implemented by the protocol stack. The protocol stack handles the instructions from the code and sits on the bluetooth chip (it's something between hardware and software, kind of...). It comprises the link between the application code and the standards. Therefore, in order to update the profiles, you will need to update the chip, which in effect means replacing it with one with an updated protocol stack. So no, no software update, although it would have been nice... Well, at least I'm a bit wiser about bluetooth! :D

8. sgiles1 macrumors newbie

Could voice dialing via bluetooth be enabled from software upgrade?

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yup. Baffling why it hasn't been.

Phazer

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I dunno about you folks abroad, but in the U.S. AT&T removes voice dialing from phones that are otherwise capable of it so they can finagle you into paying $5 a month for their own, far inferior 'Voice Dialing' service. I have that problem with my current Samsung phone, as well, so it's not just Apple.