Bluetooth 4.0 Accessories

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bkd0255, Jan 4, 2013.

1. bkd0255 macrumors member

I am currently looking for a pair of bluetooth 4.0 headphones. I am ready to ditch the cord as i am tired of messing up headphones from the cord being pulled during a workout, also use a lifeproof case and bluetooth would be much more convenient. I searched the forums and google and didnt find much. I specifically want 4.0 for the better battery life. Does anyone know of any headphones or upcoming headphones with bluetooth 4.0 I was also wondering if there are any other bluetooth 4.0 accessories? Just anything, I would like to utilize the 4.0 feature.

2. mdavid727 macrumors newbie

3. ogamiitto macrumors member

may not be 4.0, but the original poster mentions a desire for a better headset experience during a workout.

how're these for working out? would they stay on your head comfortably during a run?

like to know for myself as well, since i'm looking for the same thing.

4. Xanderprime macrumors member

From what I understand (and I could be wrong on this) the bluetooth 4.0 spec is really only meant for communication with devices that are always on and need short bursts of data every so often such as a smart watch. Another example would be a heart rate monitor.

For audio streaming, I do not think it matters if the device is 4.0 compatible and will not make a difference in battery life as it is a continuous stream of data.

Currently I use the Jaybird Freedoms. I've had them for more than a year and bought them because I had a Lifeproof with my 4s. Love em..they sound good and stay in my ears when I run or workout. Sweatproof design too. Believe they are now 20% smaller in design from the version I have. My only caveat is the battery life lasts about 3 to 4 hours (which is fine for my use).

Jaybird has a new design (forgot the name) that I want but are just too expensive ($169 I think).

5. allankennard macrumors newbie

Jaybird, manufacturer of the "BlueBuds X", released in late 2012, uses Bluetooth 2.1 instead of 4.0, but is a more robust Class 1 device. Jaybird comments (defensively?): "Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth Class 2.1+EDR (Newer versions offer no benefits for headphones as BLE, Bluetooth Low Energy, is not adequate for streaming high bandwidth stereo music) Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz Tx Power: Class 1"'. Why, though, did Jaybird use 2.1 if 4.0 was available? 4.0 certainly has no drawbacks. Chintsing on development cost, perhaps. Also 3.0 had other advantages over 2.1 other than power handling.

6. bkd0255 thread starter macrumors member

i actually stumbled across these. http://en.woowi.com/ it seems to me that going by the specs of say 2.1 bluetooth headphones around the same size as these, the 4.0 has way better battery for headphones. unless those just have a bigger battery?

7. riseboi macrumors member

From what I understand, Bluetooth 4.0 does not necessarily mean low energy consumption. Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), Bluetooth Smart, etc appears to be a subset/feature Bluetooth 4.0 is capable of providing. As stated above, I also believe BLE cannot handle the data transfers required for streaming music. The boost in battery life comes at a cost to data transfer. I could be wrong, though.:eek:

8. Audiolover macrumors newbie

I agree that 4.0 will not necessarily mean better battery life. There are 3 modes in Bluetooth 4.0 one for low energy (presumably slow data rate), standard Bluetooth, and a new higher bandwidth Bluetooth (comparable to slow wifi). I would personally be interested in headphones that had the option of using the high bandwidth aspect of 4.0 for better audio quality and less of the compressed audio sound that plagues bluetooth headsets. I'm sure it would eat more battery, but it would be a great option to be able to turn on/off for times you would like high fidelity audio. Does anybody know of a headset with this feature?