Bluetooth 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by protobiont, Oct 10, 2011.

1. protobiont, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

protobiont macrumors 6502a

No one seems to be talking about this little feature...

Apparently, the 4s is the first mobile phone to feature BT 4.0, it has a real low power draw, and it could be used similarly to NFC.

Some questions and thoughts for the knowledgeable on the forums.

Questions:
    1) Is does BT 4.0 do everything that earlier iterations of BT did but with lower power, or is it only low power for certain functions?
    2) With regards to NFC, does BT 4.0 have the same security advantages?
    3) Besides, pairing with other devices and possible a payment system, what other things can me done with BT 4.0?
    4) Is the power draw low enough that it can be left on all the time with no real consequences?

Thoughts:

1) I like the idea of phone based payments - let's hope Apple jumps on this soon, cause if they're going to compete with Google wallet and NFC, they need to act before Google gets too much momentum.

2) The other cool thing I'd like to see is the use of this to allow inter-device picture (or other file) transfer, between iphones or future ipads, when a wifi network is unavailable.

And found a good article on the topic.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I wonder about this as well. Of course the BT in the iPhone 4S is backward compatible with normal full-power Bluetooth devices, I don't expect to see any benefit or advantage with those uses.

I'd love to see a low-power Bluetooth interaction with a future iPod Nano - things like alerts, caller ID, text messages, etc. I'd wear a Nano as a wristwatch if it provided a remote wireless display for my iPhone's basic alert functions. I have no idea if this is feasible or not.

3. protobiont thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot about the watch thing! I was actually getting excited when they started the ipod nano section of the keynote and showed the watch. Why the heck didn't they do that? Would've been awesome...

4. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

BT4 won't be used for contactless payments, too much money spent by retailers on NFC/RFID already.

5. protobiont thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you are correct, however in the article I linked to:

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

After reading the wikipedia article, it looks very promising. Like Thunderbolt in other Apple products, we will have to wait to see products use it, such as headsets.
    I'm not sure if NFC hardware will use it or not. Time will tell.