Bluetooth adapter question!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Dec 31, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

I am trying to find a way to get bluetooth onto my iMac G5(1.8GHz) and was wondering if this setup would work:

Using one of the wired aluminum keyboard's included usb ports for the usb bluetooth adapter and then using my magic mouse that way. I thought that since these ports were low power anyway, that they would be powerful enough for the BT adapter and still leave an empty usb port on my iMac.

The reason for this is that my iMac only has 3 usb ports and I already have an external HDD and my current apple pro keyboard connected.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Hughmac, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

You may be in luck - I've just tried my mini USB BT adapter through a Mac Pro keyboard (attached to a USB 1.1 port on my Pismo), and it works fine playing music from iTunes to a bluetooth headset.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hugh

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thanks Hugh!

So let me get this straight, you have a BT adapter connected to one of the usb 2.0 ports on a wired aluminum keyboard, and then connected to one of the usb 1.1 ports on the pismo? If that works then it should definitely work for the magic mouse! Thanks again!

4. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

No, sorry, I was using an old white Mac Pro keyboard (about 2004-2005 vintage I reckon), which has definitely kicked off most of my USB sticks as not having enough power, and probably not USB 2.0 because it was connected to a USB 1.1 port on my Pismo.
    Which all makes it more probable you will have success, as I tested on much older hardware.

Cheers :)

Hugh

5. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Hi again Hugh.

What brand is the mini BT adapter?

6. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Hi, it's a BlueNext or Blue Next mini BT adapter - I've already looked and can't find one on eBay US, as it was marketed by a UK based company.

Works fine in both Tiger and Leopard.

Any adapter should work so long as it mentions Mac support in the description.

Cheers :) and Happy New Year

Hugh