Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

I am wondering if an airport/Bluetooth card from an Imac G5 17" (eye sight model) would function on a Mac mini G4 ...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi guys,

I am wondering if an airport/Bluetooth card from an Imac G5 17" (eye sight model) would function on a Mac mini G4 ...

No
The iMac uses a combined Airport/Bluetooth card.
The mini has two separate cards, and the card connections are completely different, even the antenna connectors are not interchangeable.
note - the G4 mini's airport card is a standard Airport Extreme card, same as used in the oldest iMac G5, and most iBook G4/iMac G4/MDD PowerMac, and others of that generation. Likely easy to find one of those. The Bluetooth card may not be as common.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
No
The iMac uses a combined Airport/Bluetooth card.
The mini has two separate cards, and the card connections are completely different, even the antenna connectors are not interchangeable.
note - the G4 mini's airport card is a standard Airport Extreme card, same as used in the oldest iMac G5, and most iBook G4/iMac G4/MDD PowerMac, and others of that generation. Likely easy to find one of those. The Bluetooth card may not be as common.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Since that's the case, would know if an airport card from an eMac G4 1.25ghz, year 2004 would fit my Mac mini g4, 1.25ghz, which is a 2005 model...just trying my luck!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
…
... would know if an airport card from an eMac G4 1.25ghz, year 2004 would fit my Mac mini g4, 1.25ghz, which is a 2005 model...just trying my luck!

The Airport Extreme card is the same one used in a variety of different iMacs, PowerMac G4 and G5, and PowerBooks/iBooks from the 2003-2005 era.
An Airport Extreme card pulled from a later eMac will work perfectly in the mini G4.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
The Airport Extreme card is the same one used in a variety of different iMacs, PowerMac G4 and G5, and PowerBooks/iBooks from the 2003-2005 era.
An Airport Extreme card pulled from a later eMac will work perfectly in the mini G4.
Hi, thx again.

If it'll fit in my g4 Mini, that'll be superfine. Actually i just pulled out the airport card from my emac, true, its an Airport Extreme (i hv yet to learn about the difference in theses cards)

However, i had earlier in this forum enquired on as to whether the A/extreme from the emac would fit the Mini G4: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1759402/

But was advised that it will not fit. Maybe i should post a pic of both cards...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
An Airport Extreme card pulled from an eMac WILL be correct to fit in a 1.25 GHz mini G4.

I am not sure if the original mini without wireless has the antennas that are needed, or the mezzanine board that the wireless cards mount on. The original Apple wireless upgrade kit has everything, but I don't know if you can still find a complete kit, without having to find all the various cards/antennas/etc individually

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.