Bluetooth and wi-fi don't mix!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macintel4me, Jul 4, 2007.

1. macintel4me macrumors 6502

my car has bluetooth and the integration is great except for the small problem of talking on the phone. After some investigation, I determined that popping noise and cutting out was due to wi-fi being turned on at the same time. The call quality was so poor that I couldn't maintain a usable conversation. Now I turn off wi-fi before getting into the car and everything is great. It's a little annoying and disappointing however.

2. macintel4me thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that was a good guess! It's 2006 3-series FWIW.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

The reason I asked is because I have a BMW with bluetooth, and hope to buy an iPhone when it is released in the UK.

Just need to know how well (or otherwise) it might work. :)

4. macintel4me thread starter macrumors 6502

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im guessing 12volt power.. not enuf oomph to keep everything going.

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Thanks for that - very interesting.

I'm glad that there is a solution to the problem that you mentioned in your original post, but I hope that Apple sort it out so as to avoid the inconvenience of having to turn off wi-fi every time you get in the car.

Shouldn't have to do this on such a high end piece of kit!

7. macintel4me thread starter macrumors 6502

To be clear there are some people that have don't have to turn off wi-fi and have great success with bluetooth in their car (BMW).

It may have to do with, however, the number of wi-fi hot spots you drive through. If you going through a rural area and there isn't much wi-fi, then you probably don't have to turn off wi-fi, but that's just a guess.

8. lecompte macrumors newbie

bluetooth and wifi bmw problem

I have three bmw's and have the same problem on all three (530 & 335 & 535). If Wifi is active it makes the bluetooth conversation cut in and out, pop and crack, etc. I figured out what was wrong and turned off the wifi and the problem disappeared. I turned the wifi back on and the problem started again. I agree that in a rural area you might have this problem but in a wired city like San Diego it is constantly finding new wifi as we drive. It is a real pain having to turn it off an on but at least it works. Though I will say the bluetooth doesn't work nearly as well as it did with my RAZR.

9. MacRumorsReader macrumors member

MacRumorsReader

is this a bmw "thing"?

My 05 jeep grand Cherokee does not seem to have this problem.

10. copland007 macrumors member

copland007

I don't have this issue in my acura tl either.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wats a BMW??? :rolleyes: