Bluetooth App to "push" contacts to vehicle phonebook

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 3282868, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

As most car manufacturers require the smartphone to "push" contacts in order to transfer them to the vehicle phonebook, the iPhone lacks this ability. My 2011 Infiniti G37xS can read my iPhone 4S's contacts but when wanting to transfer them to its own system nothing happens as it is waiting for the iPhone to "push" them.

Is there a Cydia Bluetooth app or profile that will do this?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

One person on another forum said they did it with a different phone but was able to associate the contacts with the iPhone: http://tinyurl.com/88kmp45

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks for the link. I actually remember reading that exact article back when I had my 3GS. I tried it with a Blackberry then my iPhone, nada, then I even tried it with my MacBook Pro.

What's interesting is that it pairs, plays stereo music wirelessly, I can see all my contacts when the iPhone is paired under "Handset Phonebook" but I cannot download them permanently into my "Vehicle Phonebook." I suppose it doesn't matter as why would I need it saved in my vehicle if my phone isn't with me, but there was an instance in which I had a friends phone and left mine at home and needed a contact number. Would have been nice having that stored in my 2011. Oh well.

I read that an app called "Celeste" which allows for OBEX, etc. may work, although it claims iOS 5 incompatibility at the moment. So this would seem to be due to Apple's Bluetooth restrictions in that the iPhone 4/4S will not allow for OBEX/Pushing of data.

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

you want them to be stored on the car? both my cars dont store the address book but will look at it when the phone is connected so i can access it

5. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Yup. My Infiniti and BMW have the ability to store an address book as well as read the handset address book. This is beneficial if you need access to your address book and your device isn't with you, and voice activation is better when the vehicle has your address book stored and analyzed as I have found it tends to misread/understand names of contacts off the handset phonebook.

Just wish Apple didn't cripple the Bluetooth on the iPhone, especially as it has Bluetooth 4.0. I can't imagine it is for security purposes. I'm sure it's for keeping people from exchanging files outside of the iTunes infrastructure (which is obviously a means to stop any copyright infringements).

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i thought i transfered my address book onto my ex's e70(x5) on accident once but couldnt remember how i did it. That was IOS 3 iphone 3GS too. My e46 doesnt have the abillity to store address book though. If you have a flip phone or candybar phone lying around transfer contacts onto that then i bet when you hook it up the car you can transfer contacts off that phone