Bluetooth Apple Mouse and Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ehzool, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ehzool macrumors member

I just bought my first Mac today and was wondering if I should get the Apple Mouse and keyboard. The mouse seems interesting for the touch gestures. Are they any good?

Also these are connected via bluetooth correct? Are bluetooth mice any good? I've heard people say you should always get a wireless one if you can afford a USB slot. But why? If the battery is not as good, how much worse is it?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I can't see the point is not using Bluetooth on a Mac. USB dongles are just a pain in the ass, and you'll likely lose it. I've happily been using the Apple wireless keyboard and a Logitech Bluetooth mouse for 6+ years with a decent set of rechargable batteries.

Unsure why you'd want the keyboard with a MacBook Pro unless you're running it in clamshell mode with a monitor - the Apple wireless keyboard is pretty much the same keyboard as you have built into to the laptop already.

3. ehzool thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'll pretty much be using it as a desktop that I can fold and take with me when I need to.

So you don't feel the Apple mouse is as good as your logitech mouse? The touch gestures aren't that important?

And the keyboard feels good? Easy to type on and such?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Keyboard feels exactly the same as my 2008 uMB and the 2011 MBP. Mainly because it is the same keyboard. It's got a tiny bit more travel that the retina machines with a similar key weight.

I've not tried the Apple mouse. The logitech dates from 2006 and still works perfectly. The Macs we order in at work come with the Magic Trackpad as the users prefer them. If the logitech ever dies I'll probably go the Magic Trackpad route.