Bluetooth audio nightmare with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jmmo20, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Ok, so I've been having bluetooth nightmares ever since I installed Lion on my mid-2011 macbook pro.

I have 3 different bluetooth headphones (creative, jaybird and philips) and all of those have the same problem. Basically Lion NEVER connects to them correctly. Sometimes it establishes the BT connection but fails to send audio, some other time bt can't be connected.

it's a real pain in the behind, since I need 5 minutes to get those to work everytime I want to use them. The procedure is always the same when it doesn't work: turn BT off, turn headphones off, turn headphones on, pair mode, turn bt on, try, fail, then try again, fail fail fail…

I was hoping for this to be fixed but it hasn't ..
    am I alone?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

BT is not known for reliability. Having said that the collection of de4vices you have isn't helping either Try one at a time.

Transmission very much depends upon device quality.

3. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

it's always one at a time. I onlyu normally use one of the BT headphones with the computer, but to try and see if it was this one specific unit or a general BT problem i tried the others with the same result.

With Snowleopard and this machine I never ever had any problems with BT of these headphones..

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Could be a Lion issue..Updates soon..also wifi comes into the equation here. Your router (wifi) could be the problem.

5. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

No it's not either. I use my laptop in a number of different locations and it's always the case. Besides I don't see why should Wifi has anything to do with Bluetooth connectivity. We're now at 10.7.2 .. two point updates and the same bug.. that' why I wonder if it's just me!!!!

it could very well be my mother board !!

----------

OK so it looks like it's not just me

http://www.maximporges.com/2010/05/...age-on-mac-os-x-with-sony-dr-bt50-headphones/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200456?start=120&tstart=0

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

7. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I was only clarifying. I haven't spent a lot of time with SL. I went from a PowerMac to my MBP, and literally booted into SL once on the MBP.

If a future update makes my magic trackpad work better, I'd be all for it.

Hey, have you tried disabling AirDrop?

9. Desmo1098 macrumors regular

Desmo1098

@jmmo20

There is a feature built into OSX called the Bluetooth Bitpool. I do not know the underlying details of how it works. However, you can adjust the value from 1 to, I think, 200. In order to get access to this feature you must have XCode installed. Once you have XCode installed you select the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar while holding, I think, the option key. Once you do this you will see an extended list of options you want to select Bluetooth Explorer. From there you will see a new set of Menu Items up top as Bluetooth Explorer has now launched as an App (this is the only way to launch it). Once you get this far, email me at michael710 at me dot com and I will walk you through the rest.

The point is that the Bluetooth Bitpool is a negotiated handshake between your computer and bluetooth device in which they agree to communicate at a certain quality. I have a Bose Sounddock 10 and had a lot of problems with audio quality and dropped music. I was able to play with the bitpool setting and get Hi-Fi bitrates between my MacBook Air and my Bose Sounddock.

By the way Bluetooth is reliable. I have never had any problems with devices or reliability. Just needs to be configured correctly in this case.

10. brainw0rm macrumors newbie

same problem here

I am having the same problem as the OP. I am going to follow your instructions.

11. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

Sorry for the rehash, but I can't find the bluetooth explorer. I am having the same problem with my Jaybird J3's. They pair and connect but wont send audio. They actually prevent iTunes from progressing the song when i choose "use as audio device". I found the following error in Console, but can't find anything in google about it.

[​IMG]