bluetooth between iMac and Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusxavier, Jan 5, 2009.

1. gusxavier macrumors newbie

I'm trying to set up the bluetooth conection between my iMac and my Macbook. Both are visible and active. On my iMac, using the Bluetooth Assistant, it finds the Macbook but it won't pair with it.

Any suggestions?

BTW, the same occurs with my iPhone.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why are you trying to do this? Curiosity?

I can't really help you since I've only ever had one Bluetooth-enabled device at a time.

3. gusxavier thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to wireless connect my iMac to my Macbook in order to transfer files between both of them. Is there anything I'm missing?

4. toodiverse4u macrumors newbie

You have one of the worlds finest computer combination's and you mean to tell me that you are not using your 802.11n network connection to use screen sharing and file sharing between both computers? I'm with gusxavier on this one. I have only used Bluetooth for headset, mice and keyboard connections.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Uh, gusxavier is the OP. I'm assuming you were talking about me. :p

If your computers aren't connected to a wireless network, you can set up a computer-to-computer network between them. Then enable file sharing under the Sharing preference pane on both computers and they should appear in one another's Network window in Finder (available under Finder's Go menu).

6. gusxavier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, BlueRevolution!! Sorry, I'm a beginner on this world. I have more questions. I'll be happy if you help me:

1) How can I use a WPA secure network? Could you post some screenshots?

2) I use Windows XP by Bootcamp on my Macbook. How can I use the internet under Windows?

3) A printer is plugged to the Macbook. This printer works only under Windows. How can use the printer by the iMac?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Create, or connect to? You can't create one, but you can connect to an existing WPA network.

How do you use the internet under Mac? Wireless connection?

What kind of printer? Take a look in the Print & Fax preference pane.

8. gusxavier thread starter macrumors newbie

1) I've created the network as you told me on your post. But I didn't see a WPA network option.

2) A cable modem is plugged to the iMac. So, I've created the network and now I'm using the internet on the Macbook wirelessly. But, when I log in Windows I can't access the internet connection.

3) A laser printer is plugged to the Macbook. It works only under Windows. Not on Mac OS.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's not there. You can connect to WPA networks, but you can't create them. WEP is your only option, unfortunately. It's still better than nothing.

Your ISP will have instructions for properly configuring a system to work with their internet. Find and follow the Windows instructions and you should be fine. You can call their support line if you get stuck.

I was actually looking for manufacturer and model number.

10. gusxavier thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually looking for manufacturer and model number.[/QUOTE]

It's a HP LaserJet 1020 laser printer.

Thank you for all the answer.

11. jampat macrumors 6502a

HP LJ 1020 is a pain in the ass to get to work on a mac. It is barely supported and after fighting with one for a few hours, it still only works occasionally. Personally I would buy a new printer, they are cheap and eliminating the hassle is worth $100. Interestingly enough the older version (1012) works perfectly.