Bluetooth - can it do anything cool?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by El Fragil, Jul 12, 2008.

1. El Fragil macrumors newbie

I just got my MacBook with bluetooth. My old iBook didn't have it. I can get the MacBook to recognize my phone. What can I do with it? Anything worthwhile?:apple:

2. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

Nope. i found bluetooth to be all but useless. Wait thats a little harsh. Let me explain. If you attempt to use a Bluetooth headset with ichat for example the constant connecting and disconnecting of the bluetooth headset will eventually crash ichat or lock up the system. Theres no bluetooth printers so that leaves keyboards and mice and thats probably what bluetooth is best for.

Someday there will be another version of bluetooth and it'll be better Im sure.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Existing BT is fairly limited to devices and range, BT 2.0 will substantially improve that in both range & transfer speeds. Mice & keyboards are pretty much most of what can be accomplished reliably right now, along with some lightweight mobile phone file transfer.

I use a BT mouse, that's pretty much it. You can pair an iPhone with it, but can't do anything.

4. okatidubi macrumors regular

To be honest, I find it very useful. I have a nokia phone and it requires the Nokia PC Suite to help you transfer your files to/from your phone/computer. It makes the job easier than to view it as a disk. Unfortunately, the Nokia PC Suite doesn't support Mac.

Instead, I use bluetooth. It's easier than the pc suite actually. There you go, one example from me.

5. Nevpaurion macrumors regular

It honestly depends on what you do. I for one find it extremely useful. Both my iMac and Macbook have bluetooth, and I use it to wirelessly transfer things to and from my phone. I find this really useful because, as with most software for phones, the software I'm supposed to use to transfer things to my phone is made for xp and vista only, so this is a nice wireless way around. Also I game alot, and for anyone that games with other people, you're pretty much gonna need a head set, well what better headset than a wireless bluetooth one? I have a bluetooth set for my phone that easily hooks up to my computers and can be used with programs such as Teamspeak (Teamspeex beta for macs) and Ventrilo. I guess there aren't a whole array of things you can do with it, but the few things I do use it for, I use a lot.

6. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

using it with a BT mouse or keyboard is a good idea, so you waste no USB port. (though I have a notebook stand with 4 integrated powered USB ports, and I am using a wired keyboard when the MB is in its stand. so I could use an older keyboard and didn't hat to purchase a new BT one and still have enough ports left.)

I sometimes connect my Palm Treo smartphone to my MacBook, to get data/pictures over to the MacBook. Of course, I just could use the sync cable, but sometimes it's just not sitting next to you or you don't have a cable with you at all.

Another situation BT got useful: me and my sister were with our MacBooks at some friends house. We couldn't get the WLAN working there and no one had a memory stick. But we had to exchange some files. So we just paired our Macbooks and could send the needed files through the air.

These are rare situations, but why not use something that's built in anyway?

7. El Fragil thread starter macrumors newbie

heh. Yeah, short of being able to see my phone on m Macbook, Im not sure what I would use it for.

8. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

This. I installed the Samsung PC Suite on my VMare, but... Eh. It's just easier to throw files across with bluetooth, rather than fiddling around with the phone software.

9. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

there is a program, called proximity i believe, that whenever you walk near your computer your computer picks up the bluetooth on your phone and will wake your computer, and when you walk away it will put your computer to sleep, or turn your screen off.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I use it with my Wireless Mighty Mouse. When I had a Motorola RAZR I could do file transfers over it (same with my HP PDA). It would be nice if my iPhone could... :mad:

11. Nevpaurion macrumors regular

Funny thing, the phone which software I couldn't use on mac that I have just happens to be a Nokia :D

12. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I use my bluetooth to send faxes through my cell phone

13. Jeegan macrumors newbie

How are you doing this? What software that is, I would like to be able to do this as well.

14. fazox macrumors member

I sometimes use it to connect to my cell phone for internet when I'm out and about.

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You can use the bluetooth to connect to a wii remote and control your mouse. It's even better if you get a Nyko sensor bar, because then you just stick it to the top of your screen and you can point and click. :D

16. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Just done through OSX (mac is awesome!)

Pair with your phone, then choose fax as PDF in the print screen. Works with most newer bluetooth enabled phones.

17. Tamarina macrumors newbie

Bluetooth head set

Can I use my bluetooth headset as the head set on my mac? I just bought a Plantronics Discovery 925 headset and would love to be able to connect it to my mac and use it as a soft phone.

Can you tell me how to do that? :eek:

18. Nevpaurion macrumors regular

Sure! First you have to set your bluetooth headset to viewable or whatever it may be called, just look it up in your owners manual. Then go to system preferences>Bluetooth on your computer. In settings check the "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar" box ( this is just helpful to get to it easier when adding/changing devices. Also check Discoverable. Then click the device tab, and click "Set up new device..." and you should be taken through several steps that will eventually have your blue tooth set working through your computer!
    Feel to send me a message or anything if you have any problems with it :D

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I have only ever used it for when i sync my Moto KRZR with Address Book. It works quite nicely though. Beyond that, everything is wired for me :)

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I use mine to operate our washing machine, tell it to start/stop and change program. I can also make it change the temp on the air-conditioner, though I have to be in the other room for it to work!

I just discovered our Toshiba fridge freezer has bluetooth too. Anyone know what it might be for? It seems to do everything automatically.. I can't for the life of me think what it's there for!!! :confused:

I wonder is there a IR application, so I can use the MBP for it..
    Our lights have IR remotes.. Technology in Japan is Cool!

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you can get the iSync drivers then you can use USB.

22. stsabel macrumors newbie

I use the Hewlett-Packard bluetooth dongle on my Photosmart D7360 printer. Prints flawlessly from any of my macs