Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevken

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Is there a way to get the Iphone's bluetooth to connect to my cars bluetooth system in order to make calls etc or are we stuck with this facility that connects to nothing that every other phone connects to?

The Iphone rocks but one or two basic things that are on all its competitors phones is sadly missing.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Is there a way to get the Iphone's bluetooth to connect to my cars bluetooth system in order to make calls etc or are we stuck with this facility that connects to nothing that every other phone connects to?

The Iphone rocks but one or two basic things that are on all its competitors phones is sadly missing.

Works perfectly with my car (Acura TL). Most manufacturers can provide a link to a list of phones known to work with their handsfree system.

stevken

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Bluetooth

Works perfectly with my car (Acura TL). Most manufacturers can provide a link to a list of phones known to work with their handsfree system.

My bluetooth on the iphone does not see the bluetooth in the car. Is there something I have to do?

TIA

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
My bluetooth on the iphone does not see the bluetooth in the car. Is there something I have to do?

TIA

I don't know what car you have, but I just followed the instructions included in my car's manuals. Basically, I had to do this:

1. Press the HFL (HandsFree Link) button on the steering wheel and say "Phone Setup."
2. Press the HFL button and say, "Pair."
3. The voice tells me to speak a four-digit number. I hit the HFL button and say my made-up four-digit number.
4. When it asks me if it correctly understood the number, I hit the HFL button and say "Yes."
5. It then says, "Searching for a Bluetooth phone." At that point, I go to Settings>General>Bluetooth on my iPhone and wait for the HFL to appear in the list.
6. Tap on the HFL in the list and enter the same four-digit number when prompted.
7. After a brief pause, the HFL says it has found a phone and asks me to name it.
8. I press the HFL button and say the name I want to give my phone.
9. The HFL then tells me, "(my phone name) has been successfully paired."
10. All done. It automatically connects anytime I get into my car now.

If this isn't how your car does it, try finding a forum devoted to your particular car and see if there is some specific help there. For Acuras, there is Acurazine.com with lots of helpful information and people.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I have a Toyota Prius and the iPhone connects to it with no problems whatsoever.

What type of car do you have?

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
I have a Chrysler with the MyGIG system w/ the HDD built in w/ BlueTooth. It works perfectly. Love it. Whenever I get in the car it auto-connects and I don't have to worry about it. On the MyGIG NAV screen it displays "iPhone" and the iPhone displays "MyGIG" indicating it recognizes the connection, just thought I'd share and let everyone know it works with MyGIG.

stevken

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
sorted

Guys and dolls I have the iphone working thanks to the instructions above from bluenoise. Many thanks for taking the time to assist, much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.