bluetooth card for mac pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by parkie, Dec 9, 2009.

1. parkie macrumors member

I've just bought a bluetooth card for my Mac Pro 1,1 and it doesn't seem to work. all I need to know are two things: would it show up in system profiler without the antenna attached? would it show up in profiler if it weren't screwed down but just placed in the slot? The reason I ask is that I don't have any screws for it but i think it's faulty.

cheers

p

2. Dzokayi macrumors member

Yes, it would show up in system profiler without the antenna connected.

It will also show up if properly seated, but the screws are not in place.

3. parkie thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I thought as much.

p

4. nano2nd macrumors newbie

I don't know where you obtained your card from but I recently ordered one from an ebay seller in China. When the package arrived, it contained two modules. The first one I installed was not recognised but the second one was. Both looked identical so I assume one was a dud. Not sure why it was included really. I suspect the seller may not be able to test the modules and some simply do not work.

After trying each of the internal antennae, I've given up on the Apple module as the reception is so bad my mouse stutters across the screen.

I just got hold of a D-Link DBT-120 USB adaptor and it now works flawlessly with my MP1,1 using both an Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Magic Mouse. The Apple module has been removed!

So my advice to anyone wanting flawless Bluetooth functionality on an early Mac Pro is ignore the ex-G5 modules and get a D-Link.

5. parkie thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that info, sounds like we bought from the same buyer, I got two as well but neither worked. I've actually got a usb bluetooth adaptor but there are too many issues with it: firstly when booting up I can't use the option key to choose bootable drive (i'm presuming the drivers for the bluetooth device don't get loaded until later in the boot process). This is a pain because I need to run windows and also other versions of OS-X that are on different drives. Also I can't get the magic mouse and wireless keyboard to work in windows 7. I only bought a magic mouse because my mighty mouse died. My have to go get another one and sell my wireless stuff :(

can you use the option key when booting up with the d-link adaptor?

cheers

p

6. matacandelo macrumors newbie

How?

How do I start a new thread in the website????

7. nano2nd macrumors newbie

I haven't tested the option key on reboot yet as I've not had to reboot for a while. However, I'm guessing that as I can't wake from sleep anymore using the wireless keyboard or mouse, I won't be able to do this either.

Wake from sleep isn't a big prob for me as I can just touch the button on the side of my Cinema Display or push the power button on the Mac itself.

Offtopic: Now it is working as smoothly as my old Mighty Mouse, I'm loving the Magic Mouse :)