Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Driller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I keep the Bluetooth always turned on with my iPhone and carry around a Plantronics Voyager 510 to use with it. If I haven't used the phone for a couple of hours and someone calls me, my headset is really slow to respond when I press the headset button to answer. Half of the time my iPhone may not even recognize that the headset is on and sitting next to the phone.

This only happens after inactivity with the phone for a couple of hours. After ending a call, if someone calls me again in the next ten minutes I don't have the same problem. I didn't have this problem with my old phone and the same headset. I just don't know what the problem is. Has anyone else experienced this? It's almost like one of the two devices is in some sort of sleep mode and can't wake up fast enough.

Just wondering if this is an inherent problem with the iPhone or if I need to start looking at new headsets? I just didn't want to invest in a new headset if it was going to do the same thing.

jgw1283

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I have this same problem. I have a Motorola bluetooth headset that worked great with my RAZR, but now everytime I want to hook it up, I have to unpair then pair it again and enter a stupid PIN, which I never had to do before. Plus mine doesnt stay connected like the above post says. Whats the deal?

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
If my appletooth has not been used for hours and hours, i have to click the button once.

There is a delay of about 2-3 secs.

Then it will connect.

I have not missed any calls though so at least for me the delay is not a super pain.

Driller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Well that's good to know. Sounds similar to my Plantronics. That makes me think then that it is somehow the iPhone and not the headset that is going into some sort of "sleep" mode. Because I almost never had this issue with my PDA phone VX6700.

Another example would be when I am dialing out, the phone won't "see" the headset unless I first push a button on the headset. Not a major pain, but sometimes a call has gone to voicemail before I can get connected.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Well that's good to know. Sounds similar to my Plantronics. That makes me think then that it is somehow the iPhone and not the headset that is going into some sort of "sleep" mode. Because I almost never had this issue with my PDA phone VX6700.

Another example would be when I am dialing out, the phone won't "see" the headset unless I first push a button on the headset. Not a major pain, but sometimes a call has gone to voicemail before I can get connected.

What I have gotten into the habit of doing, like when I leave the house (and want to use the tooth) and if I am expecting a call, is to press the appletooth button and look at my iphone and see that the bluetooth icon is white (in the main screen) or blue in the phone screen.

Sort of forcing it on for those times I might be expecting a call.

Driller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
What I have gotten into the habit of doing, like when I leave the house (and want to use the tooth) and if I am expecting a call, is to press the appletooth button and look at my iphone and see that the bluetooth icon is white (in the main screen) or blue in the phone screen.

Sort of forcing it on for those times I might be expecting a call.

That's a good idea. I never realized that there was a difference in the BT icon. I'll have to start looking for that. Nice tip. Thanks.

medlowa

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
April 09

This delay problem is still there, did anyone manage to find a resolution?
I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.