Bluetooth devices with your iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Morrius, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Morrius macrumors member

I'd like to know what people think about using the wireless keyboard, mouse, or even the magic trackpad. While I don't think I could give up my Razer DeathAdder because of WoW, I am curious as to which options people prefer. My main concern is battery life and reliability. I have a wireless keyboard for my iPad, and it eats batteries.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I get about 4-6 months use from a set of batteries in my Apple Wireless Keyboard. It's extremely reliable. It's the only Bluetooth device I use, since I prefer Logitech mice, which use a tiny USB receiver.

3. JohnRocks macrumors member

I'm in the same boat here. The only difference is that the first month or so I had the magic mouse I had no problems at all. Now, in the last 3 weeks my keyboard is eating batteries like mad. I’d replaced batteries every other day but finally got the solution of this issue the only way round this is to abandon the magic mouse and use and ordinary USB plug in mouse. I have now used my old Microsoft plug in mouse for the past 6 months and the battery level in my keyboard is still 100%, and I use my keyboard for many hours every day. Just get rid of the magic mouse, because like you, it was just eating up the batteries. Hope this helps.

4. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

my apple wireless keyboard goes through batteries every 6 - 7 months it is very good. If I use rechargeables it is about every 3 months. I have never used the Magic mouse or trackpad though.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If your worried about eating batteries, you need to get the rechargeable kit. I use the wireless keyboard, magic mouse and trackpad.

6. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

It'd be cool to have some device that you could attach to your wireless mouse that would allow you to recharge the batteries in it through the Mac's USB port. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the batteries running out since they would always be charging.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use an Apple BT keyboard and an APple MM. I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries in both, get excellent use from both. The mouse tends to need replacement batteries after about 4 weeks....The KB last's over 3 months before a swap is required.

8. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Apple mouses (? mice?) are awful IMO. But the trackpad is great. I've got at least several months between charges. Go rechargeable over normal if you do get BT kit.

9. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

While I have the keyboard as part of my iMac, I don't use it (for reasons not related to the current thread) so I can't comment, but my Trackpad gets very good connection and battery life -- I've been using it since late May or early June of last year when the iMac refresh came out and the number of times I've seen the low battery warning and connection lost warning could be counted in one hand...combined.

Granted, I might not be using my iMac for all hours, so that may be why I haven't swapped batteries as often as other members.

I don't think I've ever had such few, if any, headaches with Bluetooth prior to using the trackpad.

10. Bear macrumors G3

For a keyboard, I have a wired keyboard with mechanical keys. With where my iMac is, there is no hassle to having the keyboard be wired. And as for the mechanical keys, I can tell when I've actually hit the keys. There's not enough key travel distance in the current Apple keyboards for me. Also, depending on what type of gaming you do (casual or serious, etc) you may prefer to have a wired keyboard for that.

As for the mouse, I use a wired mouse for some things including games and the Apple MagicMouse for assorted other applications.

11. krzykat macrumors newbie

Haven't really had a problem. I've had my iMac for a year now and have changed the batteries in both the keyboard and mouse only once each. Probably about as often as I did with my previous wireless keyboards and mice I used on my PC.