Bluetooth disappeared????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illicium, Sep 4, 2008.

1. illicium macrumors regular

I looked up today and noticed that my bluetooth logo had a jagged line through it. I clicked on it and it says bluetooth not available, then I went to system preferences and, now there is no bluetooth icon to click on. I opened spotlight and found bluetooth, but then I got an error saying that no bluetooth hardware was detected. I have the MBP in my sig. Also see attached screenshot.

Anyone ever encountered this? My MBP is still under warranty for 3-4 more months. Should I just take it to an Apple store?

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might want to try rebooting. There may be other things you can check, but this happened to me 24 hours after I got my MBP. It turned out the Bluetooth module had failed and they sent me a new MBP.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Call Apple or take it to a service center, it's a hardware issue.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

This happens to my 4 year old powerbook about two or three times a year. One or two reboots and maybe a permissions repair always fixes the problem. So reboot before you panic.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It happened a couple of times with my PowerBook, a reboot took care of it.

7. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

try running the apple hardware test. insert your first osx install disk, and restart holding the d key. that should tell you if its a hardware problem or not. sometimes, just running the test fixes the problem. (it happened with my friends isight). if the problem doesnt resolve itself, go to apple.

8. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

you will probably also find that one of your USB ports is not working when this BT problem occurs (that's what I see on a MacBook - the rear USB port is disabled.)

A reboot does seem to fix the issue.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I had this problem, they told me it was a known issue (it will only get worse), and then replaced the BT module. Take it to Apple.

10. Cadium macrumors member

Attempt what is known as a "cold boot" by powering down the computer completely, unplug the power cord and remove the battery for 30 seconds, put the battery back in and re-attach the power cord and turn the computer back on. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you could try resetting your computer's PRAM by restarting and holding down Command-Option-P-R until you hear the Apple chime twice.

If none of the above resolves the issue, you may want to run the Apple Hardware Diagnostic Test from the Mac OS X Install DVD that came with your Mac, just insert it into your disc drive and restart while holding down D during the boot process, this should launch you directly into the hardware diagnostic where you can perform an extended test to see if it will find any hardware issues. Write down any error codes it gives you and contact AppleCare at your earliest possible convenience (even if you do not receive any error codes, simply inform them that you have run the AHT and no issues were found if this is the case).

11. illicium thread starter macrumors regular

******resolution*******

Rebooting and even cold booting did not work, but just after starting this thread I did a repair permissions, then rebooted and reset the PRAM and all seems to be working fine.

Thanks Everyone for your replies!

12. illicium thread starter macrumors regular

correction

I am still having problems with this. It eventually disappears every time i have my MBP turned on. I have cold booted, repaired permissions, and reset my PRAM to no avail. I have an appointment at a genius bar tomorrow.

13. caelamaia macrumors newbie

Hi, I bought a refurbished macbook pro 2 months ago and I had the same problem (it was my only issue thank goodness), but I had it repaired (replaced the hardware) at an Apple store and 1 day after I got it home I had the same problem. Initially I could reboot and it would reappear, but now the system preferences doesn't detect the bluetooth hardware at all.

Any other suggestions??

14. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

was this ever resolved? I have had my mbp for over a year and this just happened to me for the first time. I use a bt mouse and kb so this blows