Bluetooth DUN Internet Connection Disconnecting...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jtl5008, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtl5008, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013

jtl5008 Guest

Hello everyone. I have been having this problem for awhile now. I have done plenty of research and haven't found a solution yet. I have found several people with the same issue though.

I have a Bluetooth DUN connection setup with my Verizon cell phone (EnV Touch). It works great most of the time. It will randomly lose connection (data will stop transmitting), but it will not disconnect or tell me it stopped working. It looks like it is working fine on the top right menu bar, but data will not send back and forth.

To fix this, I simply need to reconnect. Although this is not simple at all. I have to hard boot my mac. Turn it off with the power button and turn it back on. I have to do this because if I right click the connection on the upper right menu bar and click disconnect, it continues to spam "Disconnecting.." over and over until I turn the computer off.

I have found a fix that sometimes reconnects the bluetooth connection without having to power down and turn back on. I read this fix somewhere and I'll share it now. All it is, is to download the widget iStat Pro. Whenever my connection stops, I open the widget and double click the "Disconnect" button on my Bluetooth connection in the widget. Sometimes it will quickly terminate the connection, then I can click "Connect" again to reconnect. Other times it will just continue to spam "Disconnecting" and force me to power down.

There is some similar issues here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1201364&start=30&tstart=0

I tried to explain as clearly as I can. If anyone needs anything clarified please ask.

I have also read somewhere the issue could be with mac not being able to terminate a PPP connection.

Note: I have also posted this issue here - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2398192&stqc=true.

I will update this post if I here anything worthwhile there

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm aware of the issue and agree that it's incredibly frustrating when it won't disconnect (I believe that it's due to pppd crashing). Is it practical for you to use USB instead of Bluetooth? I've found it to be significantly more reliable, plus it doesn't cap out at ~1.5 Mb/s.

I've asked the same question in the past but as you can see, nobody had any advice :(

3. jtl5008, Apr 18, 2010

jtl5008 thread starter Guest

Hey, glad someone else is trying to resolve this issue too. Thanks for the quick reply. I tried connecting USB in the past and I tried again now. But I am struggling.

I go into System Preferences ---> Network --> + --> (Missing USB).

I think my issue is not having EnV Touch USB drivers. I remember having this problem when I got my phone too. Can't seem to find the drivers online for Mac.

I downloaded the VWAccess Manager hoping it would install the USB drivers. But that didn't seem to work either.

Do you know where I can get the USB drivers for the EnV Touch?

Thanks again.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sorry, I can't help with that; I'm using a Sony Ericsson device and it works without drivers.

5. jtl5008, Apr 19, 2010

How did you setup the USB network connection then? Maybe I don't need drivers either.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It automatically appeared in the left pane of Network Preferences as soon as I plugged it in.

Attached Files:

7. jtl5008, Apr 20, 2010

LOL. Well that is nice and convenient. I'll keep looking and post if I find anything.

8. jtl5008, Apr 21, 2010

Turns out there is not a Mac Driver available for the EnV Touch. That is why i can't find it. Out of luck I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.