Bluetooth earpiece to control iPhone app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by johnnie2130, Nov 22, 2011.

1. johnnie2130 macrumors newbie

I am paralyzed and have little use of my fingers which makes texting on my new iPhone 4 very hard. Is there an app that will work with a bluetooth earpiece that would allow me to speak and have it type the words in the text message field?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are a number of apps that do voice to text, but I think a lot of them are not really hands free (Dragon Dictation for instance, which can transcribe voice to text and SMS it).

I believe Siri on the 4S can do this totally hands-free -- I don't know if upgrading to a 4S is a possibility?

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Check out the Vlingo app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vlingo-voice-app/id297214191?mt=8

I used to use this on my iPhone 4 to dictate text messages (it works with Bluetooth headsets). Since Apple released the iPhone 4S with Siri, they made the text messaging and email speech-to-text options free, to boot (you used to have to buy this capability via in-app purchase).

4. johnnie2130 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just bought the 4 thinking it would be all I'll need and I still think it will. This is my first smartphone, so I have a lot to learn. I'm liking it though. :apple:

----------

Can this be used with a bluetooth earpiece. If so, it would be what I'm looking for.

5. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Bose BLUETOOTH

It works well, SIRI pops right up etc. - it does require some finger dexterity to push the home button on it to bring up SIRI so I can't say if it will work for you, but it does work. It's not cheap so look for Black Friday sales. Also, Dragon Dictation will allow you to dictate texts etc. once you train it to understand it. It's a free app on the iPhone.

6. johnnie2130 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Dragon on my computer and really like it. Has anybody compared Dragon Dictate to Vlingo?