Bluetooth fail after upgrading to leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by prvt.donut, Dec 23, 2012.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Ok, so I have a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle, and running with Tiger, worked perfectly.

I upgraded to leopard and then the Bluetooth doesn't work, I try connecting my keyboard and it turns into beach ball city.

I then tried a clean install instead of upgrade, but have the same issue.

Also, if I try to open Bluetooth preferences, it freezes and I have to reboot:mad:

Any ideas?

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Did you have to install drivers? If so, many of these tend to have separate drivers for 10.5 vs 10.4, etc.

3. prvt.donut, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

No drivers for tiger, I just plugged it in and it worked.

Ok, I got it to work for a while, I booted without the dongle in and inserted into a new port, which hopefully was on a different USB bus. (I always use direct connection, not via the Cinema Display)

I was then able to get the Bluetooth preferences to open and connect to my Magic Mouse and Alu Keyboard.

But after a reboot, they don't connect any more. I tried to repeat my boot without the dongle and insert after boot, but now my regular apple mouse doesn't seem to be able to click!!

So I can't try reconnecting the Bluetooth devices again!! This is all a bit weird.

I am thinking that I might just go onto eBay and buy the official Bluetooth/Airport card as it seems Leopard really doesn't like this dongle. For the record, it is an iBuffalo USB 4.0 model.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0096FIF0C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Looking at the reviews though, it seems someone else had trouble with OSX support! Damn! I should have read the reviews first!!

4. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Well, I bought a new buffalo Bluetooth adapter that is compatible with Mac OSX.

Getting the same BS with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse. I reinstalled a fresh copy of Leopard to make sure it wasn't carrying anything funny from the previous install.

This is seriously starting to piss me off. My only next option is to buy an official device for around $80 inc shipping. But that will take a few weeks to ship to Japan from Yankieland. :p. what the hell? I thought Leopard would be better than Tiger?!??!?

tiger gave me no issues with Bluetooth. :mad:

5. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

I think Leopard is a funny little dog when it comes to USB dongles. I bought a USB WiFi signal booster to replace my failed AirPort Express Card for my iBook. It didn't Plug 'n Play, and it came with a mini CD installer disk which I would never try in my optical drive. It took some time to find a site where I could download the driver. When I input the name of the item in Google search, I got nothing. I eventually found the driver by inputting the Ralink chip serial number. Since then, it works flawlessly.

I can't speak on Bluetooth issues, except to say that the stock Bluetooth card in my iBook is incompatible with my iPhone 3GS. But even though your Mac recognizes the dongle, it still may need a driver to perform as needed.