Bluetooth File Exchange copy --> 9GB lost hard drive space!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0boolean1, Jun 6, 2008.

1. 0boolean1 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I hope somebody can help me here, because apple support sure as hell couldn't.

I recently tried to copy a large file from my laptop to my desktop (9.6GB). the copy failed in the middle, and then the finder threw an error saying I was out of hard drive space. I had 10.5GB free to start, and by the end I had 36MB.

I can't for the life of me find where this is being used. Does bluetooth create some sort of temporary file when it copies?

Thanks,
    aemilia

MacbookPro4,1 Mac OS X (10.5.3)

2. zaney macrumors regular

Probably, it's best to have enough free space for two of the files you want to copy, so for 9Gb, you're really best making sure you have 18Gb+ free.
    The temporary file should be cleaned up automatically by OS X's housekeeping processes, try restarting if you haven't already, and if that doesn't work you can try running them manually using OnyX:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx_leopard.html

3. 0boolean1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't seem to hep. I rebuilt everything that OnyX would let me rebuild, and I'm still coming up with 1 GB of hard drive space ( I trashed some things just to get me up to 1GB ).

do you have any other suggestions? this is really strange.

thanks,
    aemilia

4. zaney macrumors regular

The only other thing I can suggest would be to try and locate and delete the temp file yourself. You can use a graphical file viewer, which will display all files based on the size. I would imagine a 9Gb file will stand out a little.
    I would suggest Disk Inventory X or GrandPerspective.

Personally, I think Disk Inventory X is the better app, and probably the most useful in this case.