Bluetooth GPS Receiver/Nike Plus and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by realitymonkey, Jul 28, 2010.

1. realitymonkey macrumors member

Ok so here is what I want to do,

I play touch rugby as a large part of the exercise that I do but I really want to calculate what sort of distance I am doing with a fair degree of accuracy.

I don't hugely want to have my iPhone in my pocket and play a game that may mean that I will dive/fall over and land on the phone.

I have an old TomTom Bluetooth GPS that I no longer use and was wondering if there was a way to pair this to my iPhone and log the data as it comes across. Ideally I want to put this all on a map so that I can calculate positions etc.

If the above is not possible does anyone know if the Nike Plus would work accurately for a sport that involves lots of running backwards and sideways and give an accurate measure of distance ? I am also wondering what the range on the Nike Plus is (ie could I leave my phone in my kit bag on the side of the pitch and it get all the data ?)

Thanks

2. snkeyez95 macrumors newbie

From what I remember from my old ipod touch. You can only use an external/bluetooth gps if your device is jailbroken and you use some software that I can't remember right now. rogyBluetooth maybe or iBluetooth.

3. isaac65 macrumors member

As for Nike +, the signal would not be strong enough to leave your phone in your bag. You could use a smaller iPod Nano or the Nike Sport Band. However, Nike + is designed to track forward running distance. It won't be able to accurately track your running distance in a game of rugby.