bluetooth headphone + speaker possible?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cjlizzard, Nov 16, 2018.

1. cjlizzard macrumors newbie

Hello; I am hard of hearing and added some bluetooth headphones to by ATV but it appears that the sound exclusively goes either to the headphones or to the stereo speakers. Is there a way for my family to listen over the speakers while i listen via the headphones?

2. HDFan macrumors 65816

So your connection path is bluetooth headphones > Apple TV > ? what device(s) ? Where are the speakers, TV in this path?

3. cjlizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

ATV>Bluetooth
    ATV>TV>Stereo
    i am listening to the bluetooth headphones thru the ATV. Signal from the ATV goes to the TV and then audio out to the stereo amp.
    I dont see a way around this. As soon as I turn on bluetooth thru the ATV or the TV the signal goes exclusively to the bluetooth device. I was thinking there might be a way to split the signal at the amp but I am not sure there is such a product and if there was it would likely go into the headphone jack with would again eliminate the speakers.

4. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

I've been looking at solutions on and off over the years cjlizzard. You can get splitters and bluetooth units but there'a a major problem once you get both signals working as you want, and that is lag. The BT headphone are always going to be quite chunk of time behind the wired signal so it get's pretty old pretty quickly.

So the options are for wired setups only so a TV which can output both Tv speakers and headphones together.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

you could add an HDMI audio extractor, and a bluetooth transmitter

the extractor would go in the HDMI line between your aTV and the TV.
    the bluetooth transmitter would then send the audio to the headphones.

as an example
    from a quick amazon search, do your research before purchasing
    http://a.co/d/4krR2Pj - hmdi extractor.
    http://a.co/d/2hjsfNx - bluetooth transmitter.

this extractor mentions that it passes the full sound to the HDMI out port.

you may have to set the aTV to only output stereo

6. cjlizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2018 ---
    Awesome, thank you and I will check it out. Some of the new hearing aids pass Bluetooth signal directly to the aid via a dongle I think. Apparently there is no delay and other listeners can listen to the speakers, so there is a way to do it!

7. cjlizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

Waw74....still a little confused on where the Bluetooth transmitter sits in the system? What’s the point of the HDMI transmitter if it just passing signal to the tv? Or is the transmitter connected to that? I’m confused!?!

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

sorry just saw this

the HDMI box is used to split the audio out of the HDMI signal
    the other box is used to transmit that audio to your headphones.

so... (devices are red, cable is black)

aTV
    |
    |
    <HDMI cable>
    |
    |
    extractor ---<optical/analog>--- Transmitter ===<bluetooth>=== headphones
    |
    |
    <HDMI cable>
    |
    |
    Television

---------
    For the optical/analog cable, you can use either a tos-link cable, or an analog cable that has the standard headphone jack on one end and red/white RCA plugs on the other end. and looking back, both of those are included with the transmitter.

You will have to make sure you set the aTV to stereo output, as the transmitter can't handle surround sound.

9. cjlizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks that makes sense

Would you expect any delay between the headphones and the speakers, which would result in an echo effect

10. priitv8 macrumors 68040

The digital processing times (ie delays) are always there and unpredictable in the digital world.
    Would a wired analog headphone be an option for you? That one at least has zero latency.

11. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

As I said in my previous post the delay makes it very very hard work to watch TV with both BT headphones and the TV speaker on at the same time. I’ve been playing with various setups over the years.
    However, what I am hopefully for is Airplay2 headphones, if like me you can play to multiple Airplay systems the delay ‘maybe’ similar so maybe manageable. There are a couple of headphones due soon using Airplay2 so I may have to give one a go.
    The only solution currently is to use a splitter nd hardwire the headphone rather than Bluetooth them. This is how I watch quite a lot of tv along with my wife. Luckily our newer Tv offers both tv speakers and wired headphones simultaneously, but my wife can’t enjoy the Sonos system when we do.

12. priitv8, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 12:30 PM

priitv8 macrumors 68040

My impression about AirPlay is, that it somehow manages to sync the delays over different paths. This is a really strong selling point of AirPlay.

13. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

I’m still surprised that no big name manufacturer hasn’t release a AP2 headphone set as of yet mainly due to the uncompressed audio compared to BNT audio.

14. priitv8, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM

priitv8 macrumors 68040

As of today, the only way to have an AP2 headphone, would be to use latest AirPort Express (received AP2 firmware update in August), and wired headphones.
    Just tried this out of curiosity, and the amp has enough power to drive my Sony MDR-CD770 headphones.

So, this could be a solution for OP, to get synced audio from AVR main speakers and AP2 connected headphones.