Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Well at least the ones I have tried.

Tried these MEE Audio - Sound was very low and distorted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017BM1LAC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also tried these Sony XB70BT - Muffled and massively overpowering bass

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-xb70bt

I lost my Sony EX650 which had awesome sound. Would like some bluetooth but begrudge to spend £130 on these as not convinced sound will be similar to my EX650?

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-mdr-e...n-ear-headphones-with-nfc-one-touch/p2581515e

Inline remote and Siri support is important to me. Has anyone had good luck, i don't want any bass monsters!

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
Well at least the ones I have tried.

Tried these MEE Audio - Sound was very low and distorted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017BM1LAC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also tried these Sony XB70BT - Muffled and massively overpowering bass

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-xb70bt

I lost my Sony EX650 which had awesome sound. Would like some bluetooth but begrudge to spend £130 on these as not convinced sound will be similar to my EX650?

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-mdr-e...n-ear-headphones-with-nfc-one-touch/p2581515e

Inline remote and Siri support is important to me. Has anyone had good luck, i don't want any bass monsters!
jaybird x2

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Love my Jaybird X2's. Best bluetooth headphones I have heard. Best headphones for a phone that matter wired or not.

Reactions: hihakeem

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I don't get the love for the Jaybirds. They are decent in every way, but by no means deserving of the praise. You get the same, if not better, sound from QY8s which run for under $15 on amazon. Battery life is slightly better on the X2, but sound-wise, I would even give the QY8 the nod.

Compared to the $100+ price on the X2, it's not even close when it comes to value.

Reactions: Rocko99

Vilacr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
I don't get the love for the Jaybirds. They are decent in every way, but by no means deserving of the praise. You get the same, if not better, sound from QY8s which run for under $15 on amazon. Battery life is slightly better on the X2, but sound-wise, I would even give the QY8 the nod.

Compared to the $100+ price on the X2, it's not even close when it comes to value.

Totally disagree with this. I have both( plus a few others) and the QY8's sound like $20 headphones. The sound isn't as clear and the bass is muddy on the QY8's. The X2's have tighter bass and the sound is much more clear. But, if you want $20 headphones the QY8's are good for that price.

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011

The Jaybirds are also lifetime sweat resistant warranty. Do the ones from Amazon come with that?

Rocko99

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016

I agree. The X2's sounded a bit more dynamic, but artificially so. I have the Mpow Swift a rebrand of the QY8, and man do they sound nice. $17.99 also. I put Comply foam tips and they are rock solid, never fall out.

I just wish they had something to take up the extra cable length in the back.
[doublepost=1477521691][/doublepost]
Totally disagree with this. I have both( plus a few others) and the QY8's sound like $20 headphones. The sound isn't as clear and the bass is muddy on the QY8's. The X2's have tighter bass and the sound is much more clear. But, if you want $20 headphones the QY8's are good for that price.

You may have fakes. I have had both and as well as 50+ other headphones. For BT headphones, they sound very good. The X2's can be somewhat sibilant and a bit bright-but they are nice.

Reactions: NovemberWhiskey

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

Then you got some bad QY8s, as I have as well. That's the main problem with them: there are so many knockoff companies using the same name and design.

If you get a legit pair, they have better sound than the X2.
[doublepost=1477529547][/doublepost]
The Jaybirds are also lifetime sweat resistant warranty. Do the ones from Amazon come with that?

No, but you should read up about how good Jaybird is about honoring it: it's not.

I had one pair of QY8's go out on me, and that company sent me a new pair without any hassle.

Good company: Tekvilla. Good products (sound, quality, etc), and good customer service.

Bad units I have received from: Kedsum, Aukey. These were both HORRIBLE. I believe the Kedsum just sounded horrible, and the Aukey wouldn't hold a charge and kept shutting off.

At $100+, you could buy 10 QY8's. which all come with at least a 1 year warranty.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the X2 is bad. I just don't get the hype it has on this forum. This place does have a tendency to circlejerk products, like the slickwraps naked skin before everyone got the poor fitting skins and bad customer service.

The X2 is a fine unit, and better than the QY8. But $100+ better? Not even close. If you value 2-3 more hours of battery life, then yes.

Reactions: Rocko99

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

If that is the best recommendation a person can make, the QY8's, well I got a ton of headphones/earphones that blow those away and they ain't expensive.

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
Then you got some bad QY8s, as I have as well. That's the main problem with them: there are so many knockoff companies using the same name and design.

No, but you should read up about how good Jaybird is about honoring it: it's not.

I had one pair of QY8's go out on me, and that company sent me a new pair without any hassle.

Good company: Tekvilla. Good products (sound, quality, etc), and good customer service.

Bad units I have received from: Kedsum, Aukey. These were both HORRIBLE. I believe the Kedsum just sounded horrible, and the Aukey wouldn't hold a charge and kept shutting off.

At $100+, you could buy 10 QY8's. which all come with at least a 1 year warranty.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the X2 is bad. I just don't get the hype it has on this forum. This place does have a tendency to circlejerk products, like the slickwraps naked skin before everyone got the poor fitting skins and bad customer service.

The X2 is a fine unit, and better than the QY8. But $100+ better? Not even close. If you value 2-3 more hours of battery life, then yes.

Oh, well I didn't know there was circle jerking around the jaybirds as I don't really pay attention to the accessories part of this forum, but Jaybird was really good to me when someone stole my first pair of Jaybirds on my honeymoon. They gave me a sizable discount to order another pair. I've never had a warranty problem with sweat, but I hope to get the same great customer service if I do.

Rocko99

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016

Where are you finding legit QY8's for $10 or so?
[doublepost=1477585029][/doublepost]
If that is the best recommendation a person can make, the QY8's, well I got a ton of headphones/earphones that blow those away and they ain't expensive.
Such as?

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Whatever you do, don't buy the Fuse True Wireless BT earbuds. $99 of crap. They claim it has noise cancellation which is a total lie, the sound quality is mediocre at best and it loses the signal easily and often. I'm actually considering the Airpods simply because I think they'll work without issues. I'm tired of BT headphones dropping the signal intermittently when my phone is within 3 ft of them.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
The OP mentioned inline controls for Siri are important. This is a big deal for me as well. Can anyone speak to this?

I tried some Jaybird bluebuds a while ago and the inline controls are nothing like the Apple earbuds. Has this changed, or is there anything out there that has inline controls that behave the same as the stock earbuds and have decent battery life?

Don't really care that much about audio quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.