Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Always clarify exactly what you mean by good. What's your budget? What style of headphones? The more info you provide the better the recommendations.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Always clarify exactly what you mean by good. What's your budget? What style of headphones? The more info you provide the better the recommendations.

Agree completely w/ the above - prices are so variable for these 'listening' devices whether headphones, home systems, or travel speakers; BUT, for myself, I'm using the BT headphones below from Rocketfish - about $70 from local Best Buy; plenty of online reviews - for me this 'behind the neck' design feels fine but depends on your anatomy, so may want to try them on before purchasing - good luck in your selection. :)

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Try to get one with an AAC codec support. A lot of manufacturers don't actually list the codec support, sadly. The default codec, SBC, isn't as good as the optional AAC codec that Apple supports (apple doesn't support APT-x on ios)...

Zeiken

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
There are many styles of blutoothe headphone, brand, style, color, etc. What is your requirement?

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
There is no good answer. Headphones are so individual in terms of when you use them, how they fit, what you want hanging off what....I have four pairs. Two on the ears (Sony and MEEElectronics), one semi-in the ears (Lumix) and one in the ear (Plantronics Backbeat Go). I used to have the Motorola S9's which are supposed to be for working out; they were uniformly miserable in terms of fit on my head. The electronics on all of them are good to very good; the only real difference is fit and comfort. You need to try some out after figuring out what general type you want. Currently I like the Backbeat Go. Most aren't in the ear style; it's the most compact in the ear design and the controls, while tiny, are accessible and it comes with three different tips as well as retainers for a pretty decent fit. And the sound is much better than any over the ear unit.

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
Jaybird Bluebuds X's... I have them and they are awesome me!!! 8 hour battery too!!:D they are $170 I think but are worth it

I second this. I've tried a few and I even had the Freedom from Jaybird. My main complaint with all that I've tried is that it will drop off if I place the phone in my pocket or in the back pocket of my cycling shirt.

However, the X's are simply in another league. They have been worth every penny. The sound is fantastic. The battery life is great. They are comfy, small, and light. Best of all, they truly have amazing range.

It hurt to pay the price, but now I'd do it again in a heart beat.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at a budget under $120 bucks if possible. I'm used to earbud type. Will be used with my iphone for music mainly, and sometimes calls. Do a lot of bike riding / running / laying and walking on the beach. Ill look at the JayBirds again. Getting a lot of mixed reviews on them, and yes, they are pricey

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Check out the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 Bluetooth earbuds. Sweat proof, comfortable, decent battery life, inline controls, choice of black or light gray/white. $80 on Amazon, $100 with the charging case (has battery, will recharge the earbuds). Both versions come with charger, short microUSB cable, and different sized eartips.

Make sure you're looking at the 2, they're relatively new and many retail outlets are still selling the older original version.

I've had my set for a month now and love them. They're great in the gym, during air travel, or when just relaxing. I don't use them for running as they block too much external sound, still using wired Sennheiser PMX 680i headphones with an ancient iPod nano.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Check out the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 Bluetooth earbuds. Sweat proof, comfortable, decent battery life, inline controls, choice of black or light gray/white. $80 on Amazon, $100 with the charging case (has battery, will recharge the earbuds). Both versions come with charger, short microUSB cable, and different sized eartips.

Make sure you're looking at the 2, they're relatively new and many retail outlets are still selling the older original version.

I've had my set for a month now and love them. They're great in the gym, during air travel, or when just relaxing. I don't use them for running as they block too much external sound, still using wired Sennheiser PMX 680i headphones with an ancient iPod nano.

I bought the Backbeats Go 2 a couple of days ago. They sound pretty good if I remain completely still; however, every little movement that the wire makes against my shirt reverberates through the earbuds: it's very annoying and makes the earbuds unlistenable. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I have a defective pair?

tcurtin

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Bluebud

I'm going to side with the other folks who have loved the JayBird BlueBuds X Sport (which are down to $152.90 on Amazon right now, but there's only 16 of them left.) I sweat like a fiend while I run, and have had several previous bluetooth (and wired) headphones die on me in the past. I've been using these hard since September, and they're still going strong. Great sound, including bass, the connection doesn't drop for me regardless of which side of my body my phone is on (and I keep it in pants pocket or running belt, not even in an armband), and maybe best of all the cable can be shortened to hug tightly against the back of your head, which means no cable bounce. (Between the noise coming through the cable and the way the cable would pull where it stuck to my neck, cable bounce has annoyed me to no end in the past, both with an earlier model of Jaybirds, and with wired headphones... These are the first I've used that don't do any of that, and I love it!)

They're super small and light, but after the original sizes of ear buds didn't quite fit, I found my ears worked better with these, and they've stayed in well since: Comply Tsx-500 Comfort PLUS Earphone Tips (make sure you get the 500s, they fit the X Sports.)

Phonecalls are good too, although you have to undo the cable shortening to get the mike in the best place - I don't usually use them for calling, so that doesn't bother me. You even get an indicator of battery strength on the iphone screen, which my previous headphones didn't do. I had sticker shock at first, but the Bluebud X have been very worth it.

The only thing I wish these were better at is pairing with more than one thing - I'd love to be able to sometimes pair to my computer, but my phone is always on nearby, and I haven't found a clean way to bounce between the two that didn't involve removing/readding profiles, etc. That's a pretty minimal gripe though.

More than willing to answer any questions on these, that's how much I like 'em.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.