Bluetooth Headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WillFisher, Mar 26, 2014.

1. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Hi there guys,

I'm currently using a pair of Bowers&Wilkins P5's that I love and adore, but everyday of using them the cable snags/gets caught up/tangled and I've started looking at a few pairs of bluetooth headphones as a possible upgrade but have no idea what kind of quality any of them have. So, any recommendations of headphones?

I'm not super fussed about noise cancelation, but the audio itself has to be good.

I also don't know anything about the quality of Bluetooth audio, what kind of bit rate and audio quality can you achieve?

Thanks a lot!

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have a Motorola S-11 Flex HD headset. I've been pleased with it. You'll some reviews referencing the band cracking, Motorola has updated the band material to mitigate that, I have one of the original design and see no evidence of this issue.

As for the sound, for what it is, the sound isn't bad. I'm sure it could be better but you have to take into account compression for streaming over BT (if that's done). The headset can also be used for phone calls, though not recommended while driving as using 2 earbuds while driving is illegal in many US states. I have no previous Bluetooth headset to compare them to but I'd say they're of equal SQ to the Zagg wired headset I used before them. There are some EQ pre-sets you can pick from to adjust the sound. I can absolutely attest to them being water/sweat resistant, I use them while at the gym or when I walk outside, I perspire maybe more than average and they have taken it all in stride. I've had the headset for 18 months now, I can't precisely say how the battery holds up, I'll use it for 3 or 4 days at the gym (~1 hour each time) then charge it. It charges FAST too, less than 90 minutes for a charge that will last 5+ hours as reported by the headset when I turn it on.

3. ysvsr1 macrumors newbie

I had similar experience. I bought Bose AE2W wireless bluetooth headset. So far I am enjoying it but I am not an expert on sound quality. You can find philips bluetooth wirelss headset in amazon for 40$ approx.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

For audio quality over Bluetooth the Zik Parrots are probably the ones to beat.

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Sennheiser makes fine bluetooth headsets. I currently have an MM450-X and an MM550-X and I love them.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

The Parrot and Sennheiser bt phones are rated as among the best of them. The Parrot goes a bit further with controls which can be a plus for those that fine tune etc. or an annoyance.

Just remember, you want to consider that wireless phones need charging time and they are not all created equal.

7. WillFisher thread starter macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Fantastic help guys! Gonna go check out a pair of the Parrot Ziks as soon as I can!
    Battery's not the worst thing, I have an Anker Battery Pack thing so thats fine!

Cheers guys!

8. Tasopappas1 macrumors newbie

Have been using a setting sony mdr 10rbt headphones since the new year. Once burned in have had excellent sound quality and range. Also can connect to two bt devices so always have connected to phone as well. When it rings it automatically pauses the playback on my Mba and you can accept the call and use as a bt headset! Actually sounds good on the other end as well! Nice plus

9. Ronnoco, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I too love my P5's but now use BT phones quite a bit. I have a decent pair of Beats Wireless for tv watching and they work quite well with my Jaybird apt-x adapter out of the tv. The Beats have outstanding battery life, great on-ear controls and excellent BT range (the best of any I've tried. These things must have several BT antennas built in or have a VERY powerful transmitter/receiver in them because I've never had a BT device with this type of range). Although the bass heavy Beats sound good for movie watching and tv, they are a bit on the heavy side and are on-the-ear which I get ear fatigue from after about an hour. I wanted something a bit more upmarket with a little less boomy bass and much more comfortable/lighter than the Beats that I could wear for several hours watching movies or several tv shows or sports broadcasts consecutively. After some exhaustive research I bought the Sennhesier MM500-X for a great price on Amazon (like you I couldn't care less about ANC so I opted for the MM500-X rather than the 550-X with the built in ANC and all that other crap circuitry I don't want).

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM! Outstanding sound both wired and using BT/apt-x. Long battery life, EXTREMELY light and VERY comfortable and decent BT range (about the normal 30' line-of-site). I tried them all (the Parrot, the UE's the HK's the Sony's) and these Senns BY FAR had the best audio to my ears (such tight and pristine bass yet not overpowering) and were the most light and comfortable (I can wear them all day and forget they are on) and easy to use/pair (no EQ necessary with these, they sound perfect flat). Being apt-x compatible was a MUST for me as well. The fact that they are circumaural means they have good passive NC without the circuitry and it's hissing sound). I give them 5 stars.

10. m.hoover macrumors newbie

any ideas on bluetooth phones for people with big heads? like the around the back of the head fit but my head must be bigger than most of the population

11. addictive macrumors regular

I use these Plantronics headphones and they work great for Bluetooth headphones. Especially useful for working out or running but not necessarily only for active people.

http://www.plantronics.com/uk/product/backbeat-fit

12. deckard666 macrumors regular

deckard666

Bump - I just got a pair of orange Zik 2 and they are fantastic after trying the Sonys and Sennheiser and on that note -

Anyone got any thoughts on this - I generally use FlacPlayer+ and GoldenEar on my iPhone 5s to stream music to my Zik 2 which are FLAC player apps but wondered if as it uses Bluetooth 3 that there would be any discernible benefit over just using a decent encoded (say 320kbps) mp3 on the stock apple app