Bluetooth Headset for Chat/Gaming?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jedolley, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

I opened a similar thread in the Peripherals forum, but realized I might reach a better target audience here.

The 27" iMac is my first Mac ever and my first desktop with built in bluetooth. I would like to keep my headset options wireless, and in this case meaning bluetooth.

Basically what I am looking to know is:

1. How practical are Bluetooth Stereo Headsets for chatting/gaming using programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak?

2. If they are, what are some good options or recommended headsets?
    2a. Do any of them have external mics?

3. Also, would a Bluetooth headphones & iMac internal mic be an adequate or possibly a better option for the same as above?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Start with the Apple Store; even if you don't buy there you'll get an idea of what will work. I don't know if the surround stuff you want for gaming works with bluetooth, or 5.1 or 7.1 for that matter, but check and see. I think some gaming headset attach with USB or audio out and then use RF to go wireless rather than BT. Those might be an option as well, but the trick is sometimes getting the mic to work.

3. saschke macrumors 6502

The standard Bluetooth 2.1 protocol doesn't support headset function (using the mic!) and stereo output at the same time. You could try to use the iMac's built-in mic for input and stereo BT for output on your headset but if you have to use the BT headset's mic and output you will always end up with mono sound – simple limitation of Bluetooth. Better invest in a proper gaming headset (RF+USB would work great) and spare the pairing hassle, too. Multipoint was buggy as hell for me with the Jabra Halo and pairing my Sennheiser MM550 (freaking expensive, no multipoint…) with the iMac isn't as bug-free as one would hope it would be.

- I assume that you want to pair your shiny new BT headset with your iPhone & iPad, too ;)