Bluetooth headset for iPhone 5. Which one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iRock1, Feb 9, 2013.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I'm looking for some Bluetooth headset. My requirements are:

- discrete design. I don't like those weird giant models that make you look like a douche.
    - good sound quality (please, no ****** bass).
    - ability to hear my environment. So no in-ear models (and if it has noise-cancellation, I want it to be optional).
    - buttons: volume up and down, answer/music controls.
    - good call quality. I want the other person to understand what I'm saying, not hearing the wind. Also a good mic is a must in order to make Siri properly work.
    - bonus: good battery duration.

Btw kind of dumb question: is it possible to use simultaneously a Bluetooth headset and a smart watch—both connected to an iPhone 5?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Unless I'm mistaken, Noise Cancellation refers to the device picking up ambient noise from a secondary mike and uses that as a filter vs what your main mic picks up and sends to who you are talking to.

It doesn't affect what YOU hear, really.

3. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I think it could mean both things: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-noise-canceling-headphones/

4. Davejprince macrumors regular

5. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Bluetooth headset for iPhone 5. Which one?

But I'm guessing that they don't sound as good as some Sennheiser for instance...

Also I said no in-ear :). I still want to be aware of what's going on out of my head.

6. Davejprince macrumors regular

Oh my apologise, altough the price/quality is better than Sennheiser ( opinion, I've got Sennheiser products myself ), good luck finding the perfect match!

7. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Come on, any idea? We could discuss some requirements maybe. :p

8. millerhifi macrumors regular

I'm confused as to what you are looking for, I assumed by the title of your thread and the description of what you are looking for would be in a "monoral" BT headset but every reply here seems to refer to stereo BT headphones.
    If it's what I thought you are looking for, my vote is for the Plantronics Voyager Legend. I'm very particular about my BT headset and I've had all the usual suspects but this one is by far the best I've used to date. I never was a fan of the "boom" style ear piece but at the end of the day, it's very comfortable and not as "weird giant models that make you look like a douche" wearing it as it appears to when you hold it in your hand. The fact that you have complete control of it's feature sets and is easily firmware upgradeable when they update the software is key for me!

9. boto macrumors 6502

boto

If you are looking for wireless on-ear headphones then the only ones I can think of is Miikey's wireless headphones or Beats Wireless. There isn't really much good sound quality headphones if you are looking for on-ear models.

Here is links to several options: Miikey Stereo
    or Beats Wireless Beats
    or Gogo
    or Miikey MiiRhythm Stereo version

10. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I'll have a look. Thanks.

Btw, is it possible to have connected at the same time this kind of headphones and a smart watch like Meta Watch (both via BT 4.0)? Would they work well together?

11. dhy8386, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

FWIW i just did a lengthy comparison of 5 headsets and the best mix of the above and winner for me was the Bose 2. I cant believe i just said that because while Bose makes good products they tend to be over priced with good quality not great. But in this case, they have a strong product.

Incumbant was the Jawbone ICON because i bought a special earpiece and never wanted to give it up because it made such a difference (check it out www.averysound.com - its amazing what it does to sound (volume) and blocking out of ambient noise). But i think the earpiece was starting to have issues so i took this as an opportunity to try some others to see if i could get an even better experience.

Bottom line is Bose has excellent noise cancellation, great stock earpiece, and amazing sound quality for music, etc. Doesnt have some bells and whistles and is incredibly expensive. But in the small form factor category i havent tried a better earpiece and price is not a consideration because of how much i use it.