Bluetooth Headset Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamjay79, Mar 21, 2008.

1. adamjay79 macrumors newbie

Hi guys - I am considering switching from my BB to an iphone, but I have had one major problem every time I have used the iphone in the apple store. I currently use a Samsung WEP2000 bluetooth headset. Here is what the problem is when the headset is paired with the phone -

If a call comes in and I touch answer on the screen - the call comes through on the phone NOT the headset, unless I touch audio and select the headset EACH TIME. If a call comes in and I answer my clicking the button ON THE HEADSET, the call goes to the headset.

I have also tried the apple bluetooth headset and had the same problem. Is there something in the settings to change this, or has anyone else had this problem?

HELP PLEASE - with exchange/enterprise support coming next month this is the only thing holding me back.

Thanks in advance.

2. fart macrumors regular

Hmm, in the "phone" settings, you should be able to select which is the default audio source (in your case, choose "bluetooth") Another thing you might want to consider, and I know this will sound a bit odd, but trust me, it works. Go to your local grocery story, pick out your favorite 2 types of cold cuts, wrap your iPhone in your #1 favorite, and the headset in your runner up, put them both in the fridge overnight. By sunrise you should have a perfectly paired bluetooth setup .

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is regularly set this way if you don't have your BT headset but it is still in range and you answer your phone do you can hear correctly.

TEG

4. adamjay79 thread starter macrumors newbie

The headset was in range. I had it in my ear, and the iphone in my hand. I am going back to apple tomorrow - I will see what happens by changing the phone settings audio source - even though I don't recall seeing that as an option.

THANKS!

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sorry, it was a typo.

What I ment, is that the reason for it defaulting to the handset when you answer the phone is for when the bluetooth headset is connected, but you aren't using it and you just pick up the phone to answer. They (correctly) believe that you want it to work on the phone not the headset, that is why you must answer with the headset.

TEG

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm confused...

:confused: (If a call comes in and I touch answer on the screen - the call comes through on the phone NOT the headset, unless I touch audio and select the headset EACH TIME. If a call comes in and I answer my clicking the button ON THE HEADSET, the call goes to the headset), what exactly is the problem??? From your description, everything seems to be working fine. The situation that you describe is exactly the way BT should function. Maybe it's me, but I'm not sure what the problem is. Clarification please. :eek::confused:

7. adamjay79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a feeling people would say that. On my BB (and other phones I have had) as long as the bluetooth is paired and TURNED ON when you answer a call from the device itself (either by clicking send, opening flip, etc...) the call is answered and the audio goes to the bluetooth. The phone assumes that because bluetooth is on and paired that you are using your headset. If the bluetooth were OFF I would expect the audio to be routed to the phone. I hope this clarifies a bit more.

8. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Ummm....... WHAT?!

:eek:

9. Surely Guest

Surely

I think that Apple finally got it right.

In the past, pre-iPhone, I would forget to unpair my cell from my headset, and I would answer my cell, say hello, realize my headset was paired, and then scramble to try to find it while yelling, " one sec! I'm coming!"

That always sucked. My guess is that the designers didn't like it when that happened to them either, and changed the way it works.

10. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

OP, yes this takes some getting use to. The BB would pick up on the BT headset even when the call was answered on the phone. With the iPhone you have to answer with the BT button to get it to pick up there.

11. adamjay79 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is discouragement for me. It is just eaiser (perhaps because of habbit) to answer the phone on the device itself as opposed to the headset. Also, if you make an OUTGOING call on the phone it routes directly to the headset, so the logic you are saying does not make sense.

Does anyone know if there is a way to override this? Perhaps with audio default settings as mentioned above?!?!?!