Bluetooth Headset

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by captsanner295, Nov 10, 2011.

1. captsanner295 macrumors member

Been in the market for a bluetooth. I would like one to work seamlessly with Siri and have good volume. I just got in the mail Jawbone Icon for $50 and it had good reviews but the volume all the way up isnt very loud and seems like it kind of struggles with Siri. I would like to spend less then $50. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    TJ

2. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

3. cbronfman macrumors 6502

The Bose headset BT series 2 is excellent but a lot more expensive.

4. French macrumors regular

I'm going to 2nd this recommendation. It's more than I wanted to spend on a headset, but my old RIM HS500 wasn't working as smoothly as I liked and I always hated that it didn't have volume control directly on the headset.

So I bought the Motorola HX550 because of recommendations here. It worked fine with Siri and I liked it has volume controls on the headset, but it didn't do as good a job with background noise (talking to others) as my RIM HS500, and it also didn't have the variable incoming noise adjustment like the HS500. This is when you are talking to someone else and you come to a stop, the incoming volume of the headset lowers, and then it increases as cabin noise around you increases.

So I returned the Motorola...once you've had this variable adjustment you can't go back.

The Bose is FABULOUS with Siri, working flawlessly, the background noise elimination is better than both headsets I've referenced...I mean I left voicemails to myself driving down a concrete freeway at 70 miles per hour and literally couldn't hear the background noise. And the volume auto adjust is great, too.

Sound quality is the best I've used for music, audio and talking.

The ONE thing that bothers me about this headset is battery life which is rated at 4 hours I believe. I far prefer having a headset with a longer battery life because I don't use it every day. For me it stays in my purse until I need it. For headsets that last 6 - 9 hours I can use it off and on for 3 - 4 weeks before i need to worry about recharging. I think the Bose I'm going to have to worry about at least once a week.

Still, it's not often I'm willing to deal with low battery life for a device. In this case I am. I only hope the next model is as good as this one PLUS better battery.

Very happy camper. Again, I understand the cost is significantly different than for the other models discussed in this thread, but I'm not regretting the purchase.

5. DougNg macrumors member

I just got a Bluetrek Carbon. Very happy with it.

I've had the Jawbone Prime and the Icon. The Carbon is cheaper, louder and a LOT more comfortable. If I'm on a conference call for longer than an hour, my ear would ache. Not a problem with this one. It also doesn't look like a Chicklet sticking out of your ear which is a nice to have, but not a need to have

I can't comment on the noise cancellation, I use my Bluetooth for conference calls at home so as not to bother my family. That being said, I haven't had a "huh? Can you repeat that?" yet with this thing

NB: no A2DP on the Carbon, so you can't stream music through it

6. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I have a number of Jawbone earpieces - I love each one - people on the other end hear me even if I am going 90 and have all the windows down - the noise suppression is amazing....

The problem I had was that it was hell to keep it in my ear and was uncomfortable jammed in there - and the sound was weak on my end....

I ended up getting some jabra ear gels - the install on the earpiece and slide into your ear - there is no fatigue because it does not rely on pressure in the ear canal to stay in place - and the gel directs the sound into your ear as well as provides some noise canceling properties.

The gels were the difference between returning them and keeping them - I now have them in Gold, Green and Silver...

7. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Use the Plantronics Backbeats and have had no issues. They work fine with Siri and all music players.

[​IMG]

8. chriswitt macrumors member

I use this as well and it's fantastic. Recommended.

9. bpappleseed macrumors newbie

Bluetrek Carbon - Siri

How does the Carbon work with Siri?

10. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

I have a motorola hx550. while only $45, it has done everything perfect from use siri to send texts to just talking on the interstate going 80. I have been very pleased with this headset and plan on doing a review on it soon.

11. jacob11 macrumors member