Bluetooth Headsets that Work on Leopard via A2DP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brooklyn, Oct 27, 2007.

1. brooklyn macrumors member

Just thought this will be a good place to chime in and post which Bluetooth Stereo Headsets work and have the best Audio quality on Leopard via A2DP.

My Motorola HT820 works but is a little stat-icky at times...

2. erikthered macrumors newbie

not quite working.. insignia NS-BTHPD

I've got a set of insignia NS-BTHPD bluetooth headphones. The NS-BTHPD's will connect and play in stereo, but the signal drops so much it's unbearable.

I am using the on-board bluetooth chipset (Cambridge Silicon Radio fw v3.1965) on my macbook pro, running leopard 10.5, 2.2ghz core 2, 2gb ram.

I'm hoping for some a2dp tuning tools or something that will help.

3. kalleboo macrumors newbie

My Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980's pair, have good range and don't drop, but the audio quality isn't perfect, there's some weird staticy thing going on in the treble.

I've also heard about sound quality problems with Logitech and Motorola headphones, so I think it's a problem with Leopard.

4. MackyMcMac macrumors newbie

Motorola s805

I have the Motorola S805 DJ Style Headphones. I have Leopard on my MacBook and on my new iMac.

With both I can pair and connect. And with both, I can control the tracks (forward and back) and volume levels. The microphone works, so I would imagine that I can use it for Skype and iChat (I only checked whether it worked through the system prefs/sound panel which registers if it's picking up your voice). I don't know what the mic quality is like on the other end.

With the MacBook the sound quality is CRAP, even if you mess with the iTunes equalizer. It's only good for listening to things like really old music that sounded crappy on the CD to begin with (i.e., Laserlight jazz recordings, music digitized from old records). There is a little bit of bass, but no treble, no mid level controls. Would not recommend it for listening to music at all through a MacBook.

However, with my new iMac, it's much much better, although by no means clear! I'm so happy, these headphones have been sitting in my closet for ages...while there is a noticeable level of static throughout, a lack of definition at the high end, and the sound is a little flat through the middle, the bass is decent and NO WIRES rocks. The lack of sound quality is noticeable, but something you can probably live with if you're not an audiophile and you want the no wires thing. (I am listening to Oscar Peterson Trio as I write this. I can hear a constant but quiet level of underlying static when he's playing solo piano; When the rhythm section gets going, the high hat gets muddled; I can feel a satisfying bump bump from the bass; and, it's definitely in STEREO, finally!!)

Connection between the headphones and the computer is a little spotty. I found that it skipped and lost the connection a bit the first couple of times I connected, but I turned the computer's bluetooth off and on again and after that it seemed to hook up more solidly. I expect that there will be more blips with the connection but I'm willing to live with it to gain the lack of wires on my desktop and the ability to travel across the room with it on.

If you're considering buying a pair of these, I would say that they're only good if you're not a freak about your sound, and even then I would probably only pay about $75 for them. Reviews of this product (the headset) universally claim that the sound is very good, but I would say that those reviews do not apply to use through Leopard's secret A2DP function. The best I can say about them on my setup is that they are acceptable, or good enough considering the lack of choice out there.

Hope that helps! Yay for secret A2DP!!

5. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

I just bought the S805s. I've discovered that they don't work with both Bluetooth Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse on at the same time. I guess it saturates the Bluetooth bandwidth.

6. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

Having recently received a new MBP (and Nokia N95-4) I'm also interested in suggestions for top quality bluetooth headphones. What type do you use and what is the quality, reliability and functionality? And, is the MBP capable of receiving FM radio signals...(built in antenna)? If so, what software would be used?

7. Nobody Famous macrumors newbie

Thanks, MackyMcMac ...

... for sharing your review about your Bluetooth headset and how it works with Mac OS X system. This was exactly the info I was looking for, and (until I found your post) was unable to find - evan after an extensive Google search.
    Anyways, thanks for taking the time to share your input, I found it VERY helpful. Hopefully, when I go over to Amazon.com, I'll find other recommendations for even more headphones.

Sincerely,
    Nobody Famous

8. remo72tg macrumors member

I'm using Sony Ericsson DS-980 with leopard and it sounds pretty good, but the problem I'm having is the audio lag when watching videos, could be youtube, dvd's or any videos and the audio is not in-sync . Does anyone know how to fix it.
    I appreciate any replies.

9. sonder macrumors newbie

Help...I can't get my ds980 to cornnect

I can't get my ds980 to cornnect to my Macbook pro 10.5
    Can anyone help...??

Kind regards Carsten