Bluetooth holds connection when running on Treadmill, but not outside?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Munky, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Munky macrumors 6502

I am using Jaybird blue buds BT headphones...never had a connection problem until the watch. I've listened across my apartment (15ft) to my phone with the headphones and never dropped signal. I've also run on the treadmill connected to my watch and never had a problem. When I run outside however the connection is very spotty. Not really sure why as my hands are roughly in the same location running outside/on the treadmill.

Anyone else have the same issue?

2. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Yes, depends on where I am. if I run in the trail, then it's great. however, if I run in the woods or do a trail, it cuts out here and there.

3. papbot macrumors 6502

There are many with that issue. With the jay birds the only resolution was to wear the watch on your right wrist or on the side where the headphones controller is, usually the right. It still may not work but try it. The problem is outdoors the Bluetooth signal is scattered and your torso blocks some of the signal. I tried a variety of headphones and finally gave up and just paired mine to my phone which I always have anyway.

A fair number of people have said that there were no issues with the power beats but that doesn't guarantee you won't. You can waste a lot of money experimenting with different ones with the watch outdoors. It's not really worth it. Indoors there's rarely a problem.

4. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

I should have added I have Beats and it does the same thing

5. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I do not claim to know the technology behind blue-tooth and how it works, but one of the biggest complaints for blue-tooth over the years has been with dropping or choppy connections when outside. I have a Bose On-Ear blue-tooth that never drops or get choppy inside or outside, my jaybird also never drops a signal or get choppy when working on the yard or mowing. However, before the watch, I use to have my phone in my back pocket and it had to be in my front right pocket or else it was choppy or losing the signal. I do not have to put my watch on my right wrist to work for either the bose or jaybird. My motorola blue-tooth always stunk outside.

6. papbot macrumors 6502

It's quite dependent on your environment. Every review site I've checked for different headsets has complaints about drops for just about every model out there. Some will have no issue with a set while others will have nothing but problems.

I finally settled on Plantronics Backbeat Fits which work great with my iPhone but experience intermittent drops when paired to the watch. The watch's radio is just weaker. I've contacted the manufacturer and they are aware of the issue and claim there is a software update coming that may improve the connection to the watch. But for now it's just simpler to pair them to my phone. Now in a gym or some other indoor location most sets will work with the watch. It gets really expensive using the necessary trial and error method to find just the right set that will work outdoors.

7. firewood macrumors 604

Outdoors, there's more changes in radio interference and device antenna orientation. It takes time for the Bluetooth radios to figure out how to compensate and re-buffer. Indoors, things don't change as much.

8. Munky thread starter macrumors 6502