Bluetooth in Car

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ericgtr12, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Does anyone have any idea how hands free Bluetooth will be handled in the car while being paired with the watch as well?

2. cloudspy macrumors member

Good question. I would want the car to override the watch or have an option to choose.

3. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Was wondering the same...does BT allow simultaneous connections and does one take priority over another?

Also curious about connecting multiple devices - I have a work and personal iPhone plus and iPad.

4. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I know the iPhone allows more than one connection, I've just never seen a way to prioritize them. Worst case I guess you would have to shut BT off on the watch when driving if you want to use the iPhone in the car.

I think you can only pair the watch to one device at a time but I could be wrong.

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Well, as shown in the Music tour video on Apple's website, you can choose to listen to music via Bluetooth headphones by ForceTouching and choosing the source. So we do know that the Watch can be connected to your phone and still output via Bluetooth.

Perhaps, for example a phone call, will go from your phone, to your watch, and then to your car's audio?

6. ronm99 macrumors 6502

My guess is that this will work fine (the iPhone will be able to connect to the car and watch simultaneously and both will work as expected).

There is nothing in the bluetooth protocol to stop the iPhone from communicating with multiple bluetooth devices at the same time (an iMac can talk to a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and trackpad all simultaneously).

Only one device can be paired at a time for audio, but that is a separate limitation.

7. ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

Bluetooth works with 7 simultaneous devices so you should be good to go

8. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

So like it does now where your iPad mac and phone ring at the same time and which ever one you answer handles the call.

9. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

I hope so... That's one of the biggest problems I have now. My phone will connect to my car,but I'm listening to my iPod,then I miss every notification because I can't hear my phone that's connect to the car BT. I can hear it only if I'm listening to my iPhone as the audio device selected in the car. But most of the time I'm not.

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It should work fine. My Pebble and phone work in concert with my car's bluetooth, and I get vibration on my wrist when a call is coming in and my car's bluetooth rings as well.

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

My car is set to answer the phone after two rings so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

12. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Right, but how do we prioritize the car over the watch, for example?

13. ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

I wouldn't be surprised if while paired to the car, or any headset for that matter, it favors that system over the watch. Much like how it already works now.

Not 100%, just since I don't have my watch yet, but this is my best educated guess based on my previous experience with multiple bluetooth devices connected.