Bluetooth internet tethering simply won't work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Matt T, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

Lately I'm using my iPhone to access the web while I wait for my ADSL connection to be set up. I want to use bluetooth to tether with my phone (I'm super paranoid about constantly charging the battery if it's not empty or needs charging), but it simply doesn't work.

First of all, USB tethering works flawlessly.

Bluetooth tethering worked ok the first time I set it up, but now I'm having no luck. After the first time I tried to tether again with no luck, so I started from the beginning again and yet still no luck.

If I don't start from the beginning, the phone and my iMac simply won't connect. They each show up in the other's devices list but refuse to connect (sometimes they connect for a second or 2 but then disconnect straight away). So that's when I would start from the beginning - I make them forget each other, delete the new entries in my network preference pane and go through the setup device wizard. After setting them up again they connect, and my iPhone shows the blue "Internet Tethering" bar at the top, and yet I have no internet connection. The iPhone says it's connected, the bluetooth preference pane says it's connected, but then I go into my network preference pane and it says it isn't connected. I select bluetooth from the list on the left, click the connect button, and get an error message that reads "could not open the communication device".

I know my iMac's bluetooth is fine because I'm using a bluetooth keyboard. Restoring my iPhone hasn't helped. And my iPhone sits on my desk literally 20cm away from my iMac with nothing between them so I can't see how it would be interference.

Ideally I would like to simply turn my iPhone's bluetooth on and be tethered straight away, then turn bluetooth off and I'm untethered - simple, the way it should be. How's everyone else's experience with bluetooth tethering? Am I missing something here? I'd really appreciate any help - thanks guys :)

2. Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T